Vol. 1: Chapter 2.3 - Introductions

As Chabashira started her premade speech on the S-System, I quickly zoned out and began focusing on other things in hand. I didn't need to pay attention to the speech; after all, I've read through it so much to the point of almost memorizing it.

Before Sensei had begun her speech, she handed out a school manual, which was a short booklet briefly explaining the various facilities that the school had to offer. While in the novel, Ayanokoji only skimmed through the booklet casually and didn't bother narrating it, I instead decided to examine the booklet carefully, as to not let a single information go amiss.

The entire school of ANHS was located on a 600,000 squared meter-sized island, attached right next to Tokyo. This size alone was massive. For comparison, Vatican City was only about 490,000 squared meters large, which technically made ANHS larger than mini-country. Because of the size, there was a mini-taxi service in place within the school. However, I assumed that since it cost a lot of private points to call and book a taxi (since this service only ran by reservation) and the service itself not being well-known in the first place, it wasn't mentioned in the novel at all.

The island was split up into three sections. In the central section was the school complex, with it having the actual school building as well as some other sporting facilities like the baseball pitch, a soccer stadium, basketball courts and the swimming pool. The school building was comprised of 4 different floors plus the rooftop. The first floor was dedicated to the first years, the second floor was for second years, while the third years used the fourth floor. The third floor instead was where the teachers were, with the teacher's lounge and office residing on this floor. Just outside the school was the school library, which was larger than any other libraries that I had visited in my life. It was dome-shaped, and had architectural features of modern European buildings.

The area closer to the sea was where most students would spend their time outside of school. The dormitories were inside this area. There were four buildings with each being a 15 floored structure, and containing around 140 rooms. This was also where the Keyaki mall was. While the manual did not go in detail with each store within the building, it wouldn't be wrong to assume that it would be similar to your average shopping mall. Cafes and restaurants were littered around throughout the area, with the most noticeable one being Pallet.

Finally, the closest area to the mainland was where most resources were stocked. There were multiple buildings, guarded by high-leveled security, all storing various goods for the school, mostly food and water. This area was strictly prohibited from the students, and any student who was caught trying to break into this area would be punished severely.

Overall, the booklet was very helpful, helping me gather information about the school area properly. Knowing where everything is will be important, as there were multiple tools that I needed to buy in order to prepare for what was to come up ahead in the future.

Since Chabashira was still talking to the now-elated class about how they could spend the 100,000 private points in any way they wanted, I decided to check out the second thing that I had received today: our phones.

Phones were a daily essential in ANHS, as they were the main methods for payment within the school. Opening the phone, I could see that it was quite different from a regular one. On the phone were only four apps: Contacts, App Store, Internet, and the ANHS Application. The first three apps were self-explanatory. You could call and text people using the Contacts app. Right now, the only contact that I had on my phone was Kushida's. The App Store was there so that I could download apps that I needed which weren't on the phone right now. The Internet... was there for us to search up things. Obviously.

What I was interested in the most was the ANHS app. Inside it, there were few things that I could see that might become useful in the future. The first was the student status page. On the page, it had your general information listed, from name and date of birth to which class you were in. However, what was more interesting was the fact that it had your current amount of private points on it. Currently, I was sitting at 100,000 points, just like any other students.

The other feature on this app was the school forum. While there were no messages on the forum currently since it was just the start of the year, I knew that this would be the perfect place to broadcast something to the public so that the entire school could see. It would be especially important if 'someone' was to become a danger in the future.

"If there aren't anymore questions, then I'll be taking my leave. We'll be meeting again tomorrow morning. Do not be late." Without looking back, Chabashira left the class, the door making a small 'thud' as the it closed on itself.

Without wasting a single second, Hirata and Kushida both stood up and went in front of the class, standing on the podium to announce something.

"Hello guys. My name is Hirata. Since we will be seeing each other for next three years, I feel like it would be good to get to know each other. So how about we introduce ourselves to the class so that everyone will know who our classmates are?"

Like this, Hirata had already grabbed the attention of everyone else in the class, integrating himself as one of the pillars for the Class D. The sound of nodding and agreement soon followed, especially from where the girls were.

"Well, I'll go first then. Hello, my name is Hirata. I used to play soccer in junior high and also competed in our district league. It's nice to meet you all!"

Sound of cheering came... from the girls again. At the back, Ike and Yamauchi were glaring at Hirata intensely. Losers.

"I'll go next Hirata-kun. Hi guys! As many of you probably know, my name is Kushida. Since none of my middle school friends came to this school, my goal is getting to know each other and become friends with everyone! I hope we can spend great time together."

It didn't go without saying that Kushida was one of the best actors within COTE. The fact that she could maintain up this kind of facade perfectly in front of everyone without getting nervous was something that was very commendable.

The introductions continued on. Throughout it, I started to map out a lot of the students' personalities. Inogashira was a kind but shy girl who was scared to talk in front of the public. Miyamoto seemed to be a gamer who also liked to watch some anime. Hondo seemed a little daft, but looked like he was willing to work hard if necessary.

Then came Sudou's introduction.

"Haaah? Why do I need to tell you guys my name? Go and play your childish games without me."

Never mind.

Before Sudou could antagonize the class even further and kick his own reputation down the drains, I decided to help him out a bit.

"Come on, Sudou. You're going to see this class for the next three years, you know. Just introducing yourself wouldn't be that hard of a task, right?"

Hearing my words, Sudou looked a little hesitant. This was the normal reaction of how people would act when confronted with this kind of situation. It was hard to disagree with someone who you already knew and had positive recognition towards. Although what I did not say anything remarkable, it would still influence him to the correct choice.

"Fine, I guess, Toshiro." He reluctantly said. "Hi, my name is Sudou. My dream is to become a basketball star and be famous in the future."

Letting out a sigh of relief, Hirata nodded to tell that the next was my next door neighbor's turn. After maintaining a few seconds of silence, she grudgingly stood up to introduce herself.

"Hello, my name is Horikita." With that, she instantly sat down.

As expected of her.

Hirata laughed awkwardly before directing towards me. "And what about you at the end?"

I stood up and mentally prepared myself. Before coming into the class, I decided on what kind of personality that I would give myself in front of the class. I decided to take on the role of a reliable classmate who excels in many fields but does not take on the role of a leader. With this kind of persona, it was easy to befriend people from this class as well as the outer classes, while also having the benefit of not being targeted by every other class leaders.

I breathed out softly before smiling.

"Hello, my name is Toshiro. This class seems to have many great students in it. It's nice to meet you all.

Let's all have a wonderful time together."