Chapter 3: The Outshining

As doubts about the accuracy of the Waters of Progression surfaced, the headmaster instructed a careful re-examination. This reignited the crowd's curiosity. When I approached the altar again and infused my mana into the water, it swirled into the same deep, mesmerizing purple. Silence fell over the room as the "100" floated above the basin, marking me as an unprecedented anomaly within Mystic Academy.

Murmurs of awe and disbelief swept through the assembly. "Well, there goes any hope of a quiet life here..." I muttered to myself as speculative whispers spread like wildfire.

Until today, the highest recorded level had been a 60, held by the king's most esteemed general—a figure revered across the realm.

Among the restless crowd, Lydian's expression caught my eye—her face etched with fear and uncertainty. "I'm sorry, Lydian," I whispered under my breath, concerned that my sudden prominence might overshadow her path, which had been central to the game's narrative.

"Evelyn, manipulating the test is a grave offense. Explain yourself," demanded a professor, his stern voice cutting through the murmurs. He stood before me, skepticism clear on his face.

With my true background—a secret even here—I responded carefully, "Professor, I assure you, I did nothing unethical. The results were as surprising to me as to everyone else."

"Were you aware that your level was this high?" The professor's probing question added a layer of tension, piercing the growing murmur around us. His eyes, sharp and calculating, seemed to dissect every nuance of my reaction.

"No, Professor," I replied, maintaining a calm demeanor despite the churn of anxiety inside me. "I had no idea. I've always known I had some aptitude for magic, but such a score was beyond my expectations."

The crowd's whispers intensified, a mixture of envy and suspicion brewing in the air. I could feel the weight of every gaze, the collective scrutiny pressing down on me like a physical force.

The professor nodded slowly, his expression still not quite convinced but he moved on. "Very well. Your abilities will be further evaluated in the practical assessments. For now, please join the others."

Relieved yet uneasy about the impending evaluations, I retreated to the edge of the room where I could gather my thoughts. Would they believe me if I told them the extent of my training, or would they see it as an absurd fabrication, too fantastical to be true?

Perhaps they'd believe me if I used my most powerful spell on the headmaster to prove my point. Wait, scratch that—I'm not trying to be the villainess here...

Shaking off the wild thought, I noticed it was finally Lydian's turn to approach the crystal. The room, still buzzing from my display as she stepped forward.

What followed fell on deaf ears from the crowd, their attention still riveted on me, the unexpected center of the academy's universe.

According to the game, Lydian was to proclaim her rare holy magic abilities and status as a commoner but her moment of declaration seemed to fade into the background against the spectacle of my unprecedented score. The typical narrative arc where she would rise from obscurity was now overshadowed by the intrigue surrounding me.

With the ceremony's close, the headmaster ushered us towards the ensuing celebration. The students' laughter and chatter slowly displaced the earlier tension, drawing us into the promise of the evening's festivities.

Reluctantly swept along by the crowd, I headed towards the grand hall for the celebration. Despite my hesitation, the idea of fading into the shadows at the party seemed like a reasonable plan. I could probably observe Lydian some more, and then make a discreet exit before I became the subject of any more unwanted attention.

"Definitely not stalking—just research," I reminded myself, justifying my interest in Lydian's interactions.

At this point in the game, Lydian was supposed to encounter her three potential love interests at the celebration, crucial moments for their interest in her to blossom. Yet, as I scanned the grand hall, a different scene unfolded. Unlike the vibrant interactions filling the space, Lydian stood on the fringes, all alone amidst the festivity. My intent to focus on her, however, was abruptly interrupted when I locked eyes with someone making their way toward me.

Approaching with unmistakable irritation was Alex Sterling, one of the game's romantic interests, renowned for his strong and hotheaded justice.

"Hey, black hair, what's with that score earlier?" he demanded, his voice cutting through the ambient noise.

Maintaining my composure, I corrected him gently, "I'm Evelyn Vancourt. And honestly, the score was as much a surprise to me as to anyone else."

His approach, confrontational and direct, shifted my focus from Lydian and set up an unwelcome barrier between us. "Seeking attention, are we? That's the lowest," Alex snapped, his accusation sharp.

Before the tension could further escalate, a figure approached, emanating authority and grace. It was none other than Cornelius Heinrich, the soon-to-be prince of the kingdom and a notable love interest. "Alex, I understand where you're coming from, but let's keep this celebration non-physical."

Why were the love interests all drawn to me, not Lydian, the true protagonist?

Realizing I was in the presence of a royal I immediately bowed slightly, showing the proper respect his status demanded. "Cornelius," I greeted, keeping my voice respectful yet firm.

"The Vancourt family, that's lesser nobility, isn't it?" he asked, his tone laced with subtle condescension—something I had never seen before in the game.

"Yes, we are of the lower nobility," I replied, maintaining composure despite the absurdity.

Cornelius's eyes narrowed slightly, assessing me in a way that made me feel beneath him. "Interesting score for someone of your...standing," he remarked, skepticism tinged with cruel interest.

"The score reflects my abilities," I asserted, my patience thinning.

"Abilities, you say?" Cornelius mused, a smirk playing on his lips. "Well, Alex here has worked harder than anyone. Ever since he was a child he trained in the royal barracks. His dedication earned him a level 10, and yet, your score surpasses his effortlessly. It raises questions, does it not?"

Alex, standing beside Cornelius, seemed to swell with pride at the mention of his training, but also held a look of intimidation toward me. Almost as if he was ready to duel me right here and now.

Is he really trying to instigate a duel? You should know holding back isn't easy for a villainess.

"The Vancourt lineage has a known history of controversy and deceptions." Another figure made his way through the crowd. This was yet another love interest: Adrian Hale, recognized within the game as a prodigy in both magic and intellect.

"It would be highly likely that such a lineage could yield a selfish attention monger," he continued.

I didn't even like the family I was born into, perhaps that was a fact. I never met them so who knows what shady business they were involved in.

Recognizing the tension Adrian's remark had caused, I quickly realized the potential to redirect this moment towards something—or rather, someone—more important. "Yet, here we are, fixating on me when there's a commoner among us with rare holy magic. Doesn't that pique anyone's curiosity?"

"Oh, I met her earlier..." Adrian responded, picking up on my cue with a slight shift in his demeanor. "Talking with her would be far more productive than listening to your nonsense. She has a genuine talent that could benefit us all, especially in fields where holy magic is underutilized." Adrian's tone, now decidedly more focused and academic, shifted the room's atmosphere from confrontation to curiosity.

With that final remark, Adrian and the other two turned their attention toward Lydian, who, until then, had been quietly hanging on the sidelines.

Ugh, who knew the love interests would leave such a nasty impression? Seizing the shift in focus towards Lydian, I quickly slipped out of the grand hall and made my way back to my dorm. The evening's events had taken an unexpected turn, but ultimately, I had managed to redirect attention away from myself and onto someone who deserved recognition.