Chapter 15: Unexpected Apology

As I lost myself watching Ethan's precise movements on the training field, my concentration was broken by the approach of two girls from my class. They hovered near my desk, glancing at each other before one finally spoke up.

"Evelyn, you and Ethan seem to be quite the pair lately," she began, her eyes darting out the window and then back to me. "We've all noticed the extra time you're spending together. What's going on?"

I shifted my focus from Ethan's distant figure to the girls, feeling a ripple of irritation at the interruption. "We're training," I stated, striving to sound disinterested. "Ethan's been helping me with swordsmanship, and In return, I help him level up."

Even with my level 100 status, there were times I was almost outmatched by him swordplay-wise.

The second girl leaned forward, her curiosity evidently piqued by my response. "Is it really a give-and-take relationship? It looks like you two are having more fun than that implies. Surely, there's something more?" she prodded, a hint of a tease in her voice.

I paused, "Fun?" I echoed, genuinely puzzled. "Well, yes, improving skills can be enjoyable. Why, are you interested in joining us? Ethan's a great teacher."

They exchanged a quick, bewildered glance, clearly not expecting my offer. "Oh, um," the first girl stumbled over her words, "that's not exactly what we—"

"I could even introduce you to some eldritch beings," I added, not thinking twice about the implications. "If you're looking for a real challenge, that is. They might grant you some levels, though they do ask for... peculiar tributes."

Their eyes widened in alarm, the playful curiosity vanishing as they took a step back. "Eldritch beings?" the second girl whispered, a tinge of fear in her voice.

"Yes," I continued, maintaining a solemn expression. "The price for their aid is steep, though. Are you sure you're ready for that kind of commitment?"

The fear was obvious now as they exchanged panicked glances, their interest evaporating. "We'll, um, think about it," the first girl managed, her voice quivering slightly. They retreated quickly, their earlier curiosity replaced with a rush of whispers as they disappeared among the desks.

After the two girls retreated, I turned my attention back to the window, watching Ethan as he practiced. The sudden departure of my classmates left me puzzled. Was it something I said? Perhaps my tone wasn't inviting enough, or maybe the concept of a 'tribute' was too abstract. I shrugged off the confusion, chalking it up to their lack of adventurous spirit.

Ethan's form was meticulous, each movement deliberate and precise. It was in these moments of observation that I often found myself learning the most, not just about combat, but about the person Ethan was becoming. His determination and focus were admirable, qualities I found myself increasingly drawn to.

Watching him, an idea began to form in my mind. Strategy and leadership—two areas I hadn't given much thought to in my own combat training. Ethan had a way of making each session not just about physical skill, but about understanding the opponent, the environment, and the situation. I realized then that my approach had been too narrow, focused solely on magic.

While the thought of getting stronger despite being at max level seemed unnecessary, the realization that strength wasn't solely defined by magic power or physical prowess intrigued me. It was about wisdom, strategy, and understanding—the ability to see the bigger picture and to lead.

Or perhaps; I was just really bored...

In any case, I made my way to the library after class, intent on checking out any books on strategy, leadership, and combat techniques.