25. Masquerade - 2

Hours pass until I finally cross the doors to the Hazbin Hotel once again. Eyeing Charlie's slumped form in one of the couches, I can make a wild guess of what happened in the studio. It's no wonder, with Valentino.

I just pass by the girl though, letting out some smoke and pocketing my brand new packet of cigarettes. Quitting can suck my ass until this packet is completely empty, which probably won't take a lot, but still.

Walking straight up towards the bar under Husk's wary look, I just sit down on a barstool silently, trying to gather my thoughts before I start. He doesn't seem like he wants to wait, though.

"No drink needed I guess? I see you're already served." He gives my cigar a pointed look, but I just raise my hand to stop him.

"Drop it. It's just one package, then I'm off these for real this time. Just... Wait a sec, will you?" I look down at the counter that separates us, smoking some more and running a hand through my hair. It's gotten longer, but maybe not too much? Shoulder length is fine, whatever.

Alright, Rio, please focus you damn idiot, the cat's waiting.

"I uh..." Real smooth there.

"You...?" Husk prompts, and I sigh before starting slowly.

"I'm a manipulator. You know that much." I start with a low voice, making sure Charlie's slumped form can't hear us from the couch.
"You heard that from Vox, on the call. But you knew it before, because your gambler and bartender shit of a persona got the best of you and you already analysed everyone here."

He nods, a confirmation. The bottle in his hand surprisingly long forgotten as he looks at me with an understanding frown. But what does he understand? He doesn't. He couldn't.

"You also heard about the trust issues and me being impulsive, though that's no shocker." I make a dismissive motion with my hand, before moving the cigarette back to my lips with a pause.
"But you also know I regret it."

Another nod. Why? Why does he look so calm and composed? Why is none of this a shocker? Was this bastard really so good at gambling back then?

"So... there's that, right? I just... regretting it doesn't make it any better, you seem to understand that much. So what else is there to it?" I ask him confused, trying to rethink everything he knows. Maybe I missed something?

"You're always holding yourself back." He explains, almost as if reading my mind, but I just frown at his poor explanation.

"What? But of course I am! If I didn't, I'd probably try to manipulate everyone here. That's just who I am. When you get the hang of that shit, you just can't stop yourself from pulling the strings, you know?"

Pulling them. Stretching them. Playing. Cutting them off.

Just because you can. Because you have that power.

And it sucks, knowing you can't stop.

"You could stop yourself from doing that. Easily."

And he says it like it's a known fact in all rings of Hell, like every single imp, hellborn, sinner and even sin and royalty should laugh at me because of how ridiculously naive I am.

"The fuck do you mean by that, Husker?" Is all I can muster at the so-called revelation.

"It's true! You're doing it right now, you've been doing it since you got inside this tacky hotel. You can analyse people, I do that too! And sure, while doing so, your brain just makes up ways to- I don't know- make sure people are in line?"

"My brain makes up ways to crush people if needed, without a single move of my finger." I say, rolling my eyes in annoyance at this fact.

"Yeah, well, as dramatic as that sounds- What I mean is, there's no need for you to always hold back, kid. It almost seems like you're just showing small bit of yourself. You aren't faking your personality, per se, you just... won't let it out. And there's really no need for you to do that."

I frown, sighing as I let my hands rest on the bar counter, looking over them and the halfway consumed cigar.

"If I let go, I'll manipulate again."

"No you won't! You know how to control it." Husk tries, but I just shake my head.

"I just..." My voice comes out weak at the next words, holding my hands together as if to stop the upcoming shake in them.
"They'd all hate me."

I don't even understand why you don't.

"You think anyone here really cares about your past? About whatever shit you've done while manipulating souls? I'll tell you, no one does."

"Angel would hate me." I state matter-of-factly, sending him a sharp glare is if he's just spitting bullshit. He seems to hold back an eyeroll at the mention of the pornstar, though.

"Maybe it would take some more convincing for him, that's true." He concedes, and I nod.
"But, he would understand. Eventually." And even he seems unsure of that fact.

Shaking my head one last time, I turn off my cigarette on some random discarded glass.

"Oi kid what the fuck-"

"You know what? Let's just drop the gloomy talk for now. How about we share a drink?"

"You've been drinking a lot more lately." He eyes me, but a small smile starts grazing his lips, reaching for a glass from under the counter.

"Don't sweat it, honey. One drink doesn't make me an alcoholic. Unlike some of you fucks." I laugh heartily and pause, rethinking my words for a moment.
"...Especially you."