CHAPTER-4 TOLERATE IT

After the ceremony was over, Mauli and Kunal left for their house. Mauli felt a burden, even though all she really carried was her award—the symbol of her success. But if it really was, then why this unknown feeling lingering in her heart? She thought to herself. Her eyes looked outside the car window as she sat beside Kunal. He was happily talking about the different people he had met. All she could hear was silence... Lost in her own agony, she felt numb.

They reached house after a while and changed their clothes. It was 7:00 p.m. on the clock. Mauli wondered if the world was pacing or if she had lost the "will" to keep up with it.

"Will it be just me preparing supper today? Won't you help me a little? It's Saturday, and I can't do this alone, na? I'm tired as well..." Kunal called out to her from the kitchen as he prepared dinner.

"Coming!" Mauli snapped out of her previous thoughts and headed toward the kitchen.
"I was only 2 minutes late, and you're already complaining!" She stood beside him, took off the knife, and started chopping onions. "Onions"—her secret to hide those tears behind the chemical irritants secreted when you cut them.

"Ahh... What can I do? These things seem so misplaced that it stressed me out a little! You know I don't like things out of order." Kunal complained innocently.
"I know that! You've probably told me about this a hundred times before," she replied sternly.

"Naah... You're overestimating..." Kunal looked toward her, nodding in disbelief.
"You always overestimate things, always go above the level of things than what they actually are..." He added to his statement, this time focused on his work.

"I don't! I'm right!" she replied, screaming, the sound echoing in their empty house. Her eyes teared up and turned red as she tightened her grip on the knife in her hand, her fingers trembling.

"Are you alright?!" Kunal's voice erupted.

"Why the hell are you behaving like this?" he confronted her.

Mauli didn't know the reason, but she sensed that her emotions were emerging from a place she had perhaps not noticed before or had denied its presence. His questioning shattered her to the core; she couldn't bear it.

"I'm sorry... I truly am... I didn't mean to hurt you," she explained, her breathes heavy, her hands reaching out to his face. Kunal coldly removed her hand from his face and said nothing before leaving.

Now, she blamed herself. She sat on the floor, replaying the scenario in her head until she realized it was 10:00 pm when an unknown number called her phone. She didn't answer.

In a hurry, she went to their room. She knew she had to apologize; otherwise, Kunal wouldn't talk to her anymore. She didn't want to lose him. He lay sleeping on one side of the bed. She sat on the ground by his side, caressing his face with trembling hands. Her fear-filled eyes were brimming with tears.

She watched him breathe as he slept. She stayed there for another 2 hours until she received another call. She wondered who this person was, calling her at midnight. She picked up her phone, and the caller ID showed it was Amaiyra, her friend since college. She answered the call.

"Happy birthday, Mauliii! I can't believe, babe, you're 28 now!" Amaiyra screamed in joy as she wished Mauli.

Mauli looked at the date; it was August 31st, her birthday.
"Ohh... Thanks, Amaiyra," she said, clearing her throat.

"Have you caught a cold?" Amaiyra asked.

"No... Why do you think that?" Mauli replied.

"Then why are you behaving so coldly?" Amaiyra chuckled at her response. Before Mauli could say anything, Amaiyra asked her, "How's Kunal? Has he planned something for you today?... Like any... Surprise!"

She sighed, "I—I... don't know... Maybe he did... But a surprise is not told, right?"

"Yeah, you're right. Why would he tell you the surprise until the very moment?"

"Yeah... Amaiyra, I'll call you back in the morning. Right now, I'm really tired. Thank you so much for your wishes." Mauli tried to end the conversation.

"Yeah babe, it's fine. See you later." Amaira ended the call.

Morning arrived, and the alarm buzzed. Mauli, still lying on the ground with her head on the bed facing Kunal's side, opened her eyes only to find Kunal absent. He had probably left for jogging earlier, as he tended to avoid her when upset. She thought to herself and stood up, preparing to go to the hospital.

After a while, Kunal returned. Mauli was busy preparing breakfast.
"Kunal, come on, breakfast is ready!" She looked towards him.
He didn't say anything and headed towards their room. He didn't even look at her. His gesture hurt her deeply. Later, when Kunal emerged from their room, dressed for the office and carrying his laptop, she approached him.

"Please, don't take it personally, Kunal," she explained. "I didn't mean to offend you in any way. But eventually, I did hurt you. I am really sorry for that. But won't you even look back at me?"

He said nothing and left for the office. Mauli was left alone in the house, where only the walls stared back at her. The slow burn in her heart was now something she could feel deeply. She decided to step out before these walls could mock her any further and left for the hospital.

As the day drew to a close, Mauli checked her phone in her cabin. She had sent seven messages to Kunal, but they were all marked as delivered. He hadn't called her or replied to any of her efforts. The silence weighed heavily on her heart. During the whole day, after each break, she checked her phone only to find messages from her friends and colleagues wishing her a happy birthday, but not from her love...

The day ended, and she was now in her house.
"He hasn't come yet," she whispered to herself as it was 8:00 PM. She had already prepared dinner for them. She made his favorite dish, and all the plates and dishes were on the dining table. A tiny flower pot she had bought was also placed in the middle of the table.

8:30 PM... 9:00 PM... 10:00 PM...
He didn't come.
She finally decided not to waste food anymore and ate it. With each bite of the dish, chewing and drinking water, she stared at the walls and smiled to herself. She didn't feel anything now... She just didn't... Perhaps, she felt numb. This patience had now become the precious skill to "tolerate it."