CHAPTER-5 A LITTLE GLIMPSE OF THE PAST

Mauli immersed herself in the past as she washed the dishes. Her hands moved slowly, and she could even hear her breath at this moment. All her memory files were opening themselves.

"Hi, Happy Birthday! How are you? It's been quite a while since we talked. Don't you think so?" Kunal asked Mauli over the phone call.

"Hi, thank you so much!
I'm busy with my life, but it's going quite well, except for the days when I feel the need to not even leave my room... Tell me, how's it going for you? I've missed you. I wish we both could have more time to meet or talk..." Mauli expressed herself.

"Life's the same for me. I've gotten stuck in work. Not even getting time for hobbies... I wish that too! What are your plans for today?" He asked.

"Nothing, just watching my favorite movie with my best friend." She replied casually.

"Who's your best friend? You never told me that..." He asked hesitantly.

"My solitude, Kunal! Who else can it be? It's always there for me, has no expectations, and no demands." She laughed.

"Yeah, how could I forget that?" Kunal laughed with her. He continued, "Well, I've got some plans for both of us. Would you like to join me?"

"Plans! I'm all for it! You didn't even have to ask." She replied enthusiastically.

"Okay! Then I'll meet you at Shelby's Restaurant at 5:00 PM. See you then!" Kunal confirmed his plan.

"Yeah, sure! Bye..." Mauli looked for her clothes, even though it was 1:00 AM at night.

He had wished her at 12:45 AM for her birthday in the past. That day was the best day of her life. She found a new reason to be grateful for her life. She still remembered it all. She sighed as she looked at the present day. She was all alone, even though she was married to her love.

The doorbell rang at 11:45 PM.
Mauli got up and opened the door. It was Kunal. He stepped into the house as Mauli asked, "Have you had dinner?"

"I did have it. Have you?" Kunal asked, looking towards her. He added further, "I was at my colleague's house. He had invited me to join his anniversary party today, and I couldn't say no to him. He's quite a good friend of mine as well."

"I'm not asking anything." She said calmly, denying any reason for his explanation. He looked around the living room, and a new painting hanging on the wall grabbed his attention.

"Did you buy this today?" He questioned as he approached the painting.

"I didn't buy it. My friend gave it to me today." She closed the door as he entered the house.

"Ohh... quite beautiful... She's spending so much on you these days," he laughed.

"It's my birthday gift." She replied sternly, looking into Kunal's eyes.

"Oh-- I'm really sorry, Mauli! I completely forgot. If it had been on my mind, I would have spent some time with you... I-- I am really sorry..." He apologized, trying to hold her.

"Leave it..." She removed his hands from her arms and headed towards their room.

"I swear I would do anything you tell me right now..." Kunal followed her, trying to explain the sincerity behind his words.

"Just leave this topic, Kunal... I'm already done with my birthday. It will be 12:00 AM in a few minutes only. My birthday is over. We should just sleep now," Mauli sat down on the bed.

"Yeah, you are right... But wait! We will go out tomorrow! Yes! It's done! I'll take you out tomorrow, where we will celebrate your birthday!" He exclaimed in joy, having found the perfect idea to make her birthday special.

"I'm telling you, no need for this... I'm fine," she replied.

"You may be fine, but I'm not! We will go on an outing! Say 'yes,' please." Kunal gave her an innocent look.

"Okay done!" YES!" She answered finally after looking at his facial expressions.

Kunal hugged her out of joy. She returned the hug and smiled as she thought to herself that things are getting a little better. After breaking the hug he said good night to her and then switched off the lights.