2- Keep Your Mask On

CRYSTAL

"Two americano and one latte please," I rub my gloved hands together and bring them to my mouth to blow some hot air. It’s winter all over again. The air is cold and everyone is in coats. I'm wearing John's favourite brown coat and it's all the way down to my ankles.

I wonder if I can still call it his favourite if he hasn't worn it since last Winter. I sniff the material and rub my cheeks on it for closure. As expected, it no longer bears his scent.

It's either it has been too long or I've just sniffed out all of it.

"Here you go," the kid with the brown hair behind the counter beams at me and I smile as I take my order. I make my way through the small queue and head to my table where my friends are seated next to each other's arms and laughing over a joke I missed.

"Your waiter is here," I announce with glee as I slide into the booth to sit and drop the tray on the table.

"Thaaank you," Simeone sucks in a breathe and takes her hot americano in her gloved hands. "Although that took too long. I'll tell your manager," she teases with her bombastic side eye, bringing her cup to her lips.

I scowl at her, "Next time get your order yourself, ma'am."

"Mmm," she moans into her cup with her eyes wide and brows jerked up before she puts it down. "Gurl, don't play with me!" She continues the little drama and we giggle.

"Thanks, Crystal," Mike, her mate, says and takes his cup. He tucks his black hair behind his ears so they don't get in the way. "This smells nice. Although… the humans," he wrinkles his nose but shrugs later on.

"Come on," Simeone gently nudges him in the guts. "I really wanna know how bad it is someday." she lets out a dreamy sigh.

"It's not that bad," I say. "Humans just smell very… humanly."

"Yeah, that makes total sense," she rolls her eyes and puts her nose to her shoulder, trying to smell herself.

"You smell like dandelions," Mike compliments with his eyes closed as he savours his coffee and I can't help but smirk at the couple.

"Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm your mate," she pouts a little. "But then I hear dandelions stimulate the appetite and helps digestion-"

"Maybe that's why I always want to eat you-"

"Shut up!" Simeone snaps with her face redder than a tomato. "Jeez!" she puts her head down to hide her face.

Their banter is so cute that my cheeks hurt for her and I can't stop the smile that spreads to my lips. "You two are a handful," I sip my latte, one of the good things I've tasted in a while since romance is far from me.

"Why are you overly dressed like me?" Simeone frowns a little with scrutinised eyes. She's wearing a coat too and a head warmer to keep her ears warm and the cotton gloves on her hands are no joke. "Is it that cold for wolves too?" she wonders genuinely and turns to Mike with a curious and worried look.

Unlike me, he's dressed simple. A wine short sleeved polo and a blue jean. It feels like summer where he is.

"I don't know. I guess I'll go see Dr. Choi later on," that's all the excuse I can come up with but now it only makes Simeone worry more as she bombards me with questions. Mike, however, is silent.

"You're supposed to be warm. You guys don’t feel the cold, I know that. Is it something serious? Is this because of John? Wait, where is he anyways?" She's folding her arms now, frowning so strongly that I'm having a headache.

"Business trip," I shrug. "He'll be back soon." Now please don't ask anymore questions. Lying has never been my strongest trait.

"And how long has he been on this trip? I think the last time I saw him-"