chapter 39: long gone

Natasha's pov:

I just got off the phone with Seb and Flynn when I hear a knock coming from my door. "Come in!" I call out to whoever's there. Xander walks into the room. Ugh what could he want now? "Well?" I ask not knowing what he's doing here.

"I'm still pissed about earlier by the way." he mentions as he sits down on my bed. "Ew what are you doing get off." I say and try kicking him off with my legs. He tries to defend himself but I pull the ultimate younger sibling defence tactic. I roll onto my back and perch my legs up high. I begin kicking my legs in a bicycle motion whilst Xander tries to get to me.

I let a little laugh slip from my mouth.

He grins in satisfaction. I use all my strength and push him off of me. I pant in success. "What do you want?" I repeat again kinda out of breath. "Can a brother not want to spend time with his sister?" He replies as he arches one brow.

Xander wants to spend time with me? I'm not quite sure I'm ready to forgive him just yet but it's nice to see him make an effort to replenish our relationship. "Yeah, but you're different Xander. Now spill already, what do you want?" I question him again. Hopefully he'll actually answer this time.

"I just wanna check up on you and Harper." He finally admits. Nico? What could Xander want to know about us? I remember that I actually wanted to discuss something with Xander. I didn't want to talk about it with anyone else because they wouldn't understand.

"I actually have something to ask you.." I lead on.

"What is it?" He says intrigued and I get closer to him. We sit cross legged across from each other on my fluffy bed.

I wipe a strand of hair out of my face and ask "You know when you have girls over right?" I begin. He nods his head positively. I continue "Have you uh- ever had a strange feeling down in your stomach when you're with them?" He goes quiet. Shit, have I made things awkward again?

I watch him swallow his saliva.

He stares deep into my eyes. "Fluttering?" He sighs out loud. I nod my head to his response. "You hit the nail right in the head." I establish. "I have, but only with one girl, nobody could ever replace her." He admits and looks down. "She moved away when I turned 11. Her parents had to take that stupid job abroad. I haven't seen her since."

My heart sympathises with him.

"I'm sure you'll see her again, it's only a matter of time." I assure him. It was crazy how we weren't at each other's throats and that we were actually having a meaningful conversation. "Yea, it just so happens that everyone I love moves away from me." He sulks. Wait, was he also talking about me?

He loved me?

My heart melts at his words. I bring his hands to mine and hold them dearly. "Not everyone." I gaze upon his cyan iris. I swear I spotted a small smile on his face before it quickly disappeared. "Back to the fluttering feeling.." He starts again. I start to blush when I picture Nico's perfect smile.

He makes me feel things that I haven't felt before.

"Do you get that feeling with Nico?" He asks as his demeanour completely changed. I nod my head and try to hide the rosy tint on my cheeks, but it's no use. I could sense Xander's jaw clench and unclench in an unorderly fashion. "Since you've felt it before, do you know what it is?"

"Butterflies." He mutters.

"It feels like butterflies." He repeats again. I nod to show my understanding and murmur an "Ohhhhh." I guess that makes sense with all the fluttering going on down there. "It feels strange." I admit. "I only feel it when I'm with him." I add. He nods and demands harshly "You need to kill them."