Chapter 20 - Snowy Night

Once upon a time, there was a prince who would weep endlessly whenever he heard terrible news. He would say, “How awful. I definitely won’t be able to bear it if this happened to me.” Just like this, he would repeat these words countless times. One day when mishap truly did befall upon him, he finally understood that whoever undergoes human suffering must bear it and can bear it.

Xu Bai Chuan was just like this prince.

Over the last seven years, he was scared numerous times when thinking of his future after he leaves Tang Jin— He felt that his life will be hollow, crumble, and be filled with longing. Thus he followed the same old disastrous road and dispelled any thoughts of leaving over and over again. It wasn’t until he actually left that he discovered many of the beliefs carved in his bones and engraved in his heart, ¹ merely stemmed from fear which was caused by self-suggestion and self-intimidation
[T/N: (1) Etched in his memory]

Xu Bai Chuan perfected his mental preparation bit by bit in his mind over and over again. Rather than resolutely leaving one day, it was more of a gradual acceptance that he needed to leave.

Throughout these three months, he often thought of Tang Jin. That arrogant and unyielding youngster in senior high was added with layer upon layer of filters. Compared with ice-cold suffering, he was filled with soft memories and a deep sense of remorse.

The person in his memory suddenly traversed through time and became a stern man sitting on a sofa. As the chilly winds blew, his fingers became ice-cold, and as if they were gears lacking oil, were cold and rigid. Only the fingers holding the edge of the phone felt a slight burning sensation due to the increasing pressure placed on his phone.

Xu Bai Chuan started walking, took out the entrance keycard from his pocket and swiped it to enter the neighborhood. Recalling the staggering footsteps he just heard, he frowned. Deep within his heart, he wanted to say something to urge Tang Jin, after all, they did live together for seven years. Although they are unable to be lovers and it was best to part ways forever, he shouldn’t place the blame on Tang Jin for his fruitless love and wish for misfortune upon him. He said, “If you’re drunk, call your driver or Song Yi Yu to send you back. There’s no use in calling me. Also…”

He intended to say “don’t call me anymore”, but there was no use. As long as Tang Jin wanted to call him, he couldn’t stop him from doing so. Consequently, he stopped the conversation there and hung up the phone.

Ten meters away from the glass doors of Building B, Xu Bai Chuan placed his hands that were nearly frozen stiff into his pockets and quickly entered.

After cooking soup for himself, Xu Bai Chuan watched a movie as he ate. Lying in bed, he intended to watch the rest of the movie but unknowingly fell asleep with his phone placed on top of him. At 1 a.m., he was suddenly roused by a blast of music. In the pitch-black room, he quickly searched for the source of the sound and retrieved his muffled ringing phone from his blankets.

He sat up and turned on the bedside lamp, inducing soft light rays to immediately fill the room. The incoming call was from an unfamiliar number. His first thought was that Tang Jin was still drunk at a bar and randomly dialing people, but he compared this number with the one from last night and it was different. He couldn’t help suspecting that somebody had purchased a ‘call you to death’ service to phone him during the night and disrupt his peace.

I’ll pick up one last time. If he really was being played, he will search throughout heaven and earth to uncover this bastard who doesn’t allow others to sleep.

Xu Bai Chuan didn’t expect the caller to be Song Yi Yu when he picked up the phone.

Without any greeting whatsoever, Song Yi Yu fired a question at him. “Tang Jin’s in the hospital. Can you come over?”