Chapter 42 - Rest

“Xu Bai Chuan, I don’t like you, I love you.”

Xu Bai Chuan’s eyes instantly widened. He was blank.

This was completely against his expectations.

Without giving him any more time to react, Tang Jin continued, “I didn’t finish what I was saying last time— It’s true that I did like Song Yi Yu, and came out for him, but he chose to leave back then. Later on, you were the one who was always by my side.”

Those bad memories resurfaced once again. After recovering from his momentary shock, Xu Bai Chuan’s white face was tinged slightly red. It wasn’t from shyness, but anger. He said, “Tang Jin, I can cooperate with you if you want to return to how we were before. There is no need to make up these lies. I won’t be deceived by you!”

Tang Jin didn’t anticipate the backlash to be so intense. With great difficulty, he uncovered the thread of conversation within a tangled mess before getting wrapped inside again. Perplexed, he asked, “When did I make up lies?”

If in normal times, Xu Bai Chuan would probably not think much about it. Tang Jin could say whatever he wants, as long as there were fewer disputes, it would be for the best. But it was hard to bear this time around—What he wanted was Tang Jin’s true love, and not just a word spoken thoughtlessly to make him stay. If Tang Jin was easily tossing out what he anxiously longed for as bait in order to increase his bargaining chips, it was truly a humiliation.

“Three months ago, you said it yourself that you like Song Yi Yu. I didn’t know you were such a fickle person.”

Tang Jin’s expression could be described as horrified. In shock, he asked, “Three months ago? When did I say that I like him?”

Xu Bai Chuan didn’t expect Tang Jin to still play dumb after he said this much, so he might as well uncover his scars. “That day when you celebrated Song Yi Yu’s birthday, you said what you hate most about me is how I pester you.”

Tang Jin finally recalled that day:

——Between me and that friend, Song Yi Yu, who do you like more?

——This is what you wanted to ask? Do you know what I hate the most?

——Pestering?

——Correct.

Within a short time frame, Tang Jin’s expression changed several times. He finally had a clue of what was going on and spoke, then hesitated. “At that time, what I actually wanted to say…was knowingly asking questions.”

“What?”

“I believed…you purposely asked while knowing I like you…”

Xu Bai Chuan knitted his brows. He probed the truth in Tang Jin’s words, “What exactly makes you think I know?”

When faced with this question, Tang Jin also wanted to know the answer. Why was his past self certain that Xu Bai Chuan knew his feelings? Perhaps…if this matter never happened, he would have continued like this.

Tang Jin steeled himself. “I got carried away. You were too good to me, good to a point where you knew clearly what my habits and my interests are. Since our minds are very much in sync, there are times when you know what I am thinking without me saying anything, so I took it for granted and believed that you knew.”

“It’s my fault for being so stupid. I never know what you want.”

……

Xu Bai Chuan quietly listened to these words. Looking on at Tang Jin struggling but trying hard to make him believe him, he never would have thought their seven years together was this incongruous.