Chapter 2

“Oh, I forgot to say that this year the performance will be a little different. The people made a stage in a tavern and on that stage they will make a ‘show’.”

Qingxuan said while guided him into the mentioned tavern.

One place was left in the back of the tavern, they settled down there.

Qingxuan sat down next to him. He Xuan gave him a cold look but didn't remove himself from his vicinity.          

The tavern was filled with excited people, all in high spirits.

The performance hasn't begun yet.                          
Qingxuan glanced at him. He Xuan seemed almost curious.

He smiled as he was glancing at He Xuan, but when he saw in the corner of his eyes that the performance was starting, he grew a little serious.

“Please don't freak out whatever you'll see and try to stay calm”

Qingxuan knew there were some parts, which weren't quite pleasent, just hasn't mentioned it. He didn't know how would He Xuan react to it, because those parts mustn't be his favorite memories from his mortal life.    

He Xuan crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows, as he glanced at him for a moment then looked back to the stage.

Shi Qingxuan didn't turn away from him, because if he would get too angry then Qingxuan wanted to at least try to hold him back.

A sudden voice came from the stage.

“Attention citizens! Tonight we shall celebrate scholar He as an example of valor, wisdom and justice!”

A small cheer erupted from the crowd, as the people in the tavern turned their attention to the stage.

He Xuan's eyes never left the stage as the performance started.

The play started out with a narrator, retelling the tale of Scholar He, and the catastrophe that occurred, when he lost control over his mind and body.

Shi Qingxuan stared at him the whole time to observe his reactions, but He Xuan face remained calm and cold.

The performance then shifted to a group of actors acted out that event. The scene was intense, as the people in the crowd were filled with excitement. The actors were talented, and the entire room felt charged.

A sudden look of amusement crossed He Xuan's face.      

“Do you like it?”, Qingxuan whispered quietly.

He Xuan looked at Qingxuan, the moment he looked at him he was taken aback by his closeness.

He froze for a moment, as he felt Qingxuan breath, which was sweet like honey, then composured himself and looked back to the stage.

“The actors in the play are acting very intense. That is not at all like the actual event that happened.”, he quietly laughed, and whispered back to him.

“What are you laughing at”?, Qingxuan nudged him playfully with his elbow.

“The acting.”, He Xuan shook his head before he continued.

“The actors, they are overreacting. Trying to make the performance seem extra dramatic. It is totally ridiculous.”

Suddenly he glanced at Qingxuan with a slight smirk.

“I do not think I acted like that at all on that day.”

Shi Qingxuan chuckled quietly and raised his hands while he was shrugging his shoulders.

He Xuan lips curled up into a little smile, then his eyes were fixed on the stage again.

The actors gave in their all, as they tried to portray the scene in the most intense way possible.

The audience were enthralled, some of them even held back their breath.

The actors on the stage suddenly stopped moving, and silence filled the room.

Shi Qingxuan immediately looked at He Xuan suspiciously, he thought it was because of him.

He Xuan's eyes narrowed, as he felt Qingxuan watching him. He shifted his gaze to Shi Qingxuan. Although, as he gazed at him, he suddenly felt like something was about to happen.

Abruptly, the lights started to flicker in the room.

The audience and the actors were stunned. No one knew what was going on.

He Xuan expression remained calm and chilly, but he's energy was changing.

Qingxuan raised his eyebrows as he stared at him, still thinking this was He Xuan doings.

However, these weren't He Xuan doings at all.