Chapter 3

The stage is suddenly plunged into pitch black darkness.

The entire room remaind silent, as they were waiting for the next part of the performance to begin.

Shi Qingxuan glanced at He Xuan and instantly noticed that he was appeared alert, as his pupils have dilated and his entire body was tense like a wire.

He Xuan breathing was deep and quick, while he was staring into the darkness.

Qingxuan immediately became worried too, and looked into the stage to see what He Xuan was seeing.

The darkness became even thicker.
It felt like you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face.

However He Xuan's eyes were still fixed on something, something that no one could see.

He was almost transfixed on the scene before him.

Shi Qingxuan could hear the actor's voices whispering to each other.

They seemed scared, almost as if they were about to scream in fear.

Qingxuan couldn't hold back anymore.

He didn't know what was going on, he didn't feel that anything would be amiss, thus he thought something interesting was happening on the stage. He leaned to He Xuan, while whispering to him with a curious tone.

“What do you see?”

“Something strange”

He Xuan voice was kind of soft but hoarse.

“I can feel a...presence”

The darkness was growing thicker and thicker.

Qingxuan could hear that the crowd started to whisper.                 

“Is the performance glitched?”

“Perhaps a power outage”

“Was the play even completed?”

Hearing the crowd's whispers Shi Qingxuan became even more curious.

Gently placed his hand on He Xuan's arm and softly asked again.

“What do you see?”                       

He Xuan skin felt cold but the muscles in his arm were tight, filled with tension.

After Qingxuan asked him, he noticed a dark figure emerging from the darkness.

It was wearing a large, dark cloath and carrying a sword.

Suddenly the figure started to walk towards the stage.

Shi Qingxuan facial expressions were confused.

“Okaaay...every year the performance is the same. I don't know what is this”, he whispered.

His words seemed to snap He Xuan back to reality.                                                 

The figure was moving at a slow yet steady pace towards the stage, while the actors were remaining frozen in place.

He Xuan breath quickened and whispered back to Shi Qingxuan.

“No. This is not part of the play.” 

“What do you-..”

Qingxuan's eyes widened from the realization, as he saw the figure raise his sword, which was a real, sharp one.

The silence in the room was thick and heavy, although the energy in the room was filled with tension and fear.    

He Xuan grabbed Qingxuan's arm, his fingers were squeezing his wrist tightly.

“This is not part of the performance.”

“I realized it okay?”, Qingxuan said louder than necessary.
                                                                            He Xuan turned his head towards him, his eyes narrowed.

“Be quiet!”, he hissed.

With his free hand covered Shi Qingxuan's mouth to force him to keep quiet.

The figure with the sword was slowly moving across the stage toward the center.

He Xuan was tense, it felt like he was blazing, although his skin was cold.

He was ready to burst at any moment.

Shi Qingxuan was quite surprised by his actions, thus he remaind silent and motionless, while he was stari into He Xuan's eyes.

The figure heard Shi Qingxuan voice.

However it didn't know whos voice was exactly among the crowd.

Suddenly stopped and looked down at the audience.         

The figure on the stage has not spoken yet...                 

As the figure with the sword stopped in the center of the stage Qingxuan could feel the energy changing in the room.

The crowd, who were whispering to each other, they became completely terrified.

He Xuan grip on Qingxuan's wrist got even tighter, while he hissed quietly.

“Do.NOT.Move.DO.NOT.MOVE.”

He Xuan didn't know why he got so protective over Shi Qingxuan.

He instinctively did it, deep down he started to feel that he has to protect him. However when he realized what he was doing he went silent, although the grip on Qingxuan's wrist didn't loosen a bit.

Shi Qingxuan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and gently grabbed He Xuan's wrist, which he was covering Qingxuan's mouth.

He Xuan eyes narrowed as he felt Qingxuan gentle grip.

He could feel how soft Qingxuan's hand was. His gentle touch sent shivers down on He Xuan's spine and narrowed his eyes.

At that moment the figure on the stage started speaking.

The figure's voice was soft and low.

Shi Qingxuan and He Xuan were in complet shock, utterly froze in disbelief and in a little bit of fear, when they heard the figure's voice.

He Xuan grip instinctively grew even stronger on Qingxuan's wrist.

“It's been a long time since we last had a chance to meet again."