Chapter 12: Hybrid 393

By all accounts, Eileen shouldn't be alive. No one survived a straight fall into a crevasse. Not even the hybrid who held her captive as his broken, bloodied body showed. Eileen wasn't sure if it was because of main character syndrome, something Loreen raged about during her rare novel reading days or the fact that miracles did exist. All she knew was that at that moment, she found herself sliding to a ledge below.

"Eileen!" Ursus's figure peered over the edge. "Are you alright?"

"Yes! A little bruised, but I'm fine!" And that was the best outcome for now.

"Hold on. I'm coming down!" As he moved, a piece of edge splintered. It fell into the crevasse below. Wait!

"No!" She yelled back. "The edge is too unstable. You could fall in!" Just then another piece of the edge cracked. She grimaced, using her arms as a shield as the debris pelted her.

"Eileen," his voice cracked. Her heart throbbed. The idea of our bond being in trouble brings out the body's true speed, strength, and more. Her hands clenched. Their connection was stretching Ursus thin. His body couldn't take much more of it.

"Hey." Her voice softened. "I'm fine, Ursus. I need you to go and get help." He hesitated. The thought of leaving her was clearly tearing him apart. "I promised I'll be fine."

His eyes softened at her words. "Stay safe."

"I will."

"I love you."

She smiled. Her eyes burned with unshed tears. "I love you too."

With that, he disappeared. Releasing a sigh, Eileen turned and eased herself onto the ground. Well, at least it couldn't get any worse. The sound of thundering snapped her gaze up. Oh, you have got to be kidding me!

The centipede crawled through one of the side cracks straight toward her. Its jaws parted as it inched closer and closer. Eileen's vision blurred as the tears escaped. Sure, go ahead! Kick me while I'm down!

She stood up. "You want a piece of me, you big insect! Come get it!" As it got even closer, Eileen picked up a rock. "I'll knock you off the wall and into the cavern below!"

The insect's head rose. Now inches from her, it eased its way onto the ledge. Eileen stepped back. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Black eyes lowered. Closing her eyes, she waited for its jaws to tear into her.

Nothing.

She blinked. Wait. The insect watched her patiently. Was it not...going to eat me? Her gaze flickered across its skin. It's not glowing. It's not infected! A cry of relief burst from her lips. The insect clicked softly. Wait, what did it...the seeds! She pulled out the bag.

Jaws parted, allowing her to toss the small seeds into its gullet. WIth a single crunch, its mandibles parted again. Eileen glanced toward the top. Maybe I can use this to my advantage. Keeping the bag in her hand, she reached it out toward the insect. It didn't move as she eased herself onto its back.

"Alright." Gulp. "Alright, nice and steady now." She threw some of the seeds into the air. The creature lunged, nearly throwing her off as its jaws crunched the treats. Her grip held on for dear life. Ok, three...two...one...please don't miss! She tosses the bag up. A scream ripped through as the insect shot after it.

Crumbling snapped her gaze to the tumbling ledge below. Her heart dropped into her stomach. That was way too close. As the centipede eased itself over the ledge, its jaws devoured the bag before it turned to her. Eileen hopped off it. "I don't have any more."