Chapter 15: The Plesiosaur

Flames reached up through the night sky. Their heat rivals that of the night's chill. Floosh! Another wave of heat burst from the flames. The charred remains of the hovercraft, glowed a sickly orange. A whistle, sharp and clear, cut through the air. Eileen's head turned in time to see turtles shifting through the water.

Their flippers propelled them through the water. Smaller waves grew larger as their speed increased more and more. A sharp cry burst free from the mass as one of the turtles turned sharply. A tidal wave washed up onto the beach, suffocating the fire instantly.

Black remains seeped through the hovercraft. Eileen stepped forward. How...She couldn't finish the thought. As the water pulled back, their waves left a small silver device on the beach's shore.Movement snapped her gaze to Ursus. "No," he whispered. "No!" Eileen raced behind him as he closed the distance to the watch. "Pavel!" He shot to his feet. "Pavel, where are you?"

"Pavel!" He screamed. Eileen grabbed his shoulder. "Ursus, I think..." She trailed off. Ursus's grip on the watch tightened. "I never should have pushed him away. I never..."

She cupped his face. "Hey, we're going to find them ok?" She didn't waver at his fears. "We're going to find them."

"There's no telling how far ahead she is." Donovan stepped up to them. "But if there is a chance she just set off the explosion then you two might be able to catch up once we get the turtles feeling better." Donovan nodded to one of the dark turtles near them. "Navvin will be able to take you."

"We still need to get the bacteria from the thermal vent near the plesiosaur's cave." Eileen gestured to her and Ursus. "And we're not Acerons, we can't go in the water."

"Not without protection no." Their heads turned to Asuria. She held up her hand. Eileen recoiled at the giant snail the size of her hand. What is with these people and giant insects? "This snail creates a slime that counters the water's acidity. It's not permanent though, so you two would have to be quick."

"Ursus, you and I can dive down and distract the plesiosaur while Asuria and Eileen head inside and get the bacteria."

Asuria nodded. "We'll stay close just in case we need to get out of there quickly. Plesiosaurs are smart though. It won't be long before they realize that someone is in their home."

Eileen glanced at Ursus. "What do you think?" Think we can do it?

Ursus shook his head. "We don't really have a choice but I want you to take my blaster just in case." Right. She should be able to shoot it now. She bit back a sigh. Hopefully, I won't need it in the end.

****

"I am going to need a bath after this," Eileen groaned. She spread her fingers out, nearly gaging the thick mucus membrane that stretched between them. A glance at Ursus revealing she wasn't the only one unnerved by the thickness of the mucus. "I really am getting sick of these insects!" Eileen stressed. Her hand pressed against the giant turtle's shell.

"Easy there, Navvin." Donovan scolded. The giant turtle snorted in reply. As his fingers slowed, the gray water around them stilled. Her gaze snapped up to Asuria who held the snail around her neck. "Now for the face."

"Ugh!" Eileen groaned. "Do we have to?" Her stomach churned as Asuria gathered up a nice giant ball of slime. "It'll protect your eyes and allow you to create a bubble of oxygen to breathe from. Now, hold out your hands." Eileen closed her eyes as she stuck her hands out. The chill of the slime shot through her body. She recoiled. "Ugh!"

You can do this. You can do this. Just imagine it's another day at work. She inhaled. Three, two, one...Slop! The mucus was like glue as she rubbed it across her face. "Make sure you rub it well." Fighting the urge to gag, Eileen opened her eyes. The mucus pulled at her eyelids, creating a weird goggles-like effect.