10 - A broken heart

I turned around and rushed back the same way I'd walked a moment ago, passing the same people, the same planted pots and eventually Tom who was still talking to the lady in the window. I stopped for a moment and told him I was going to get us a room and let Frank out, trying my best to hide my emotions. To my relief he was too busy entertaining the woman to notice my flustered state and I hurried onward.

Entering the tavern I got us two rooms, one for me and one for Tom. The anger I felt was not really towards Canan, but directed to myself. But I wouldn't buy him a room.

I had been an idiot, letting him fool me and take advantage of my weakness for appreciation and compliments. I had fallen too fast and too hard for a man with no intentions to be what I wanted him to be.

As soon as I entered my room I let Frank out and tossed him a piece of dried meat before collapsing on the bed. The tiny dragon swallowed it whole, looked around and stretched his legs and wings before he took to the air and circled around for a moment, then placed himself in the window—peering down at the crowded street.

"I'm sorry you have to hide in the bag Frank," I mumbled, "But people might try to steal you if they see you." He peered back at me for a moment then resumed to stare at the commotion outside. "But don't worry, we'll be leaving soon, and then you can fly as much as you want."

I layed on my back staring up at the ceiling, wondering what I should do now. I needed that money to free my brother from his prison, but time was not on our side. He would be transferred soon, and when that happened it was too late. I was searching for a needle in a haystack, that much I knew. Suddenly everything felt overwhelmingly difficult and tears started to fall down my cheeks.

I must have fallen asleep. Fully clothed and with my boots on I woke by the sound of someone entering my room. That someone was Canan. "You asleep Blue-eyes?" he asked in a hushed whisper.

"Yes," I mumbled sarcastically and moved to the edge of the bed to remove my boots.

He chuckled and moved to pat Frank by the window, where he had curled up to sleep in the moonlight. "So, two rooms," he began, "was that an invitation for me to join you in here, or a message for me to leave?"

Straight to the point, I thought and felt my heart beat faster in my chest. "That's up to you," I answered as I pulled off the second boot and placed them by the end of the bed before lying back down and turning my back to him.

"Is it?" he asked, his tone serious and with no sign of humour.

"Yes, you may leave to go about your business or sleep on the floor," I said before pulling the blanket over my body.

"I see," he said and sighed. "Taking the whole master and servant thing a bit too seriously, aren't we?"

That was a joke, I knew that. Typical Canan thing to say to lighten up the mood, but his words hurt. "No, Canan," I said softly, "I could never do that to you."

I heard his footsteps moving across the wooden floor, the planks protesting from his weight until he reached the bed. I held my breath as he sat down on the edge. "Tell me what this is about Illon, what happened today?"

I decided to stay quiet, but eventually I felt his hand moving to brush my hair from my face. The gentle touch made me question everything I had seen later today, and I wanted to forget all about it. But I couldn't. I had seen him kiss a woman, and it wasn't just a quick peck on the lips, it was a deep kiss with tongues. The kind of kiss you share with someone you love.

"I don't know what to do," I whispered.

"What do you mean?" He asked softly and continued to move his fingertips gently caressing my face.