11 - The Heir

I started laughing. Canan had always been funny but this was a joke I didn't expect. Did he really believe he could fool me like that? He—the heir to the throne. I laughed even more.

It didn't take long before I stopped though. His facial expression had changed and he almost looked hurt.

"Is it that hard to believe?" he muttered.

I felt my chin drop to the floor. Was he being serious? "B-but they said he's a boy," I stammered. "You're a grown man!"

The corner of his mouth turned slightly upwards and he met my eyes again, "Do they now? Well, they're wrong. I am the bastard son of the late king, one of them at least." I opened my mouth to say something but no words left it. He might be one of the king's children, but was he the one they were looking for? "My mother used to work at the castle," he continued, "he knocked her up and she left before people would find out."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. Growing up without a father must have been hard for any boy. "Did you know?"

"Not until people came looking for me, my mother had kept it a secret all my life," he said. By now I had placed my hand on his arm, a pathetic attempt to comfort him in some way, but he didn't seem to mind.

"Is that why you left?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "no one knows, it didn't change much."

Then it hit me, he had taken a huge risk telling me this, "but you told me!" I gasped.

Finally a smile cracked through his sad expression and he took a step forward to place his hands on my shoulders, "I did, because I can't have you run around the entire continent searching for someone you've already found."

"What if I chain you up and drag you to the capitol?" I whispered, my eyes widening as his face moved closer to mine.

"That's your choice," he answered softly, just before his lips gently grazed mine. My heart stopped and my head felt empty. What the hell was he doing? How many had he kissed today? I instantly pulled away from him and took a step back, trying to control my thoughts and my racing heart. In the periphery I watched him sigh and pull his fingers through his hair, leaving his hands to rest behind his neck. "Listen, Illon, I took a risk telling you this. I never wanted to lie, but I had to. Until I knew you a bit better."

"I don't care about that!" I shouted at him and was met by a deep frown.

"Then tell me why you're upset!" he commanded, "If it's about the gold, I'll help you get it, I'll help you tear down his bloody prison wall if you'd like!"

I spun around and met him face to face, staring deeply into his eyes, "and why the hell would you do that for me? You barely even know me, we just met a few days ago."

"You're right," he said with a softness in his eyes. "All I want is the chance to know you better, and for you to get to know me." His hand touched my cheek, stroking it softly, "and then we'll see what happens."

And what about the woman you kissed? I wanted to ask, but the words were stuck in my throat. Maybe because I wanted to forget it even happened. He was there with me now, wasn't he? He talked about getting to know me, and he acted like he wanted to kiss me.

"And what about Tom?" I mumbled, peering at his chest to avoid his intense gaze.

"He can't know, not yet," he said.

I nodded, took a step closer to him and let my cheek rest on his chest, I was instantly rewarded with his arms gently embracing me. "Thank you for telling me, for trusting me," I whispered.

"You're welcome," he chuckled and hugged me tighter. "But you look exhausted, let's get some rest?"

I nodded, but didn't feel like letting go just yet. I let my hands travel to his back searching for an entry point where my hands could slip under his shirt. His skin was warm, so much warmer than mine. As my hands explored his broad back I could feel old scars, and I traced them with my fingertips. Some were long and wide as if he'd been hit with a whip. But there were smaller ones as well— scratch marks and old stab wounds. Suddenly I was filled with hate for the people that had done this to him and tears started to run down my face. "I'm sorry they did this to you," I sobbed. I was clearly going through every emotion today.