SIX | COLLECTIONS

"WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?" Tanner asked Hestia as the tributes awoke for the day, Districts One and Two being escorted to the restroom

"What?" Hestia looked down, noting the jacket draped over her, the warm smell of cologne cloaking her. The night before came rushing back to her at once. Festus, tears in his eyes as he mourned his classmate, the teasing manner in which he spoke, him giving her his jacket. She wished at once she could take it all back— throw his jacket at him and tell him to fuck off. "Oh, it was on the other side of the bars," she shrugged, pushing it off her, "Someone must've dropped it yesterday, when they were running out."

The answer was enough for Tanner, who nodded, looking away as the Peacekeepers called out for Three and Four.

Hestia stood, her back cracking as she did. She felt better rested than she had in days, her mind moving its normal pace for once. Perhaps the coat helped, she mused, before shaking her head. She wouldn't let Festus' odd attempt to get her to trust him work; she would not perform for him, perhaps she would even die.

She joined Mizzen and the two from Three as they left for the restroom. The Capitol was kind enough to allow them to brush their teeth and wash their faces, though she had a suspicion it was for their own benefit rather than letting the tributes feel human.

Hestia used the restroom before washing her face and brushing her teeth, her reflection staring back at her. She was shocked at the lack of a difference to her appearance. Some of the other tributes had already lost significant weight, yet Hestia seemed as healthy as she typically was. Her skin, still pale as moonlight,  was slightly dirty, and there were slight bags under her eyes, but she looked mostly normal.

Perhaps it could be contributed to Festus. Who, in pursuit of that stupid prize, had made sure she was fed and well rested. She noted the way the girl from Three shuffled to the sink beside her, cheekbones more pronounced as her face lost its cushion. She sniffed as she scrubbed the grime from her hands, turning to Hestia with a smile, "You smell good."

"Oh," Hestia sniffed her shoulder, the smell of Festus' cologne lingering on her body. "Uh, cool. You too." Her face contorted into a wince. Why was she so bad at getting complimented? "I mean, um..."

She was saved by the shout of a peacekeeper, his voice traveling into the bathroom with slight annoyance, "Hurry up in there!"

Both girls rushed to grab sheets of paper towel, drying off their hands and discarding the tissue as they left, meeting up with their District partners who stood waiting.

"Do you think Persephone will visit?" Mizzen asked as the were shoved back in the enclosure, both from Five and Six taking their place. "After what happened yesterday?"

The name was unfamiliar to Hestia, "Who?"

"My mentor," Mizzen clarified, taking his normal seat on a rock.