Rise and Fall

Your gaze as you left Mori's office could've turned anyone who'd made eye contact with to ice. Your e/c eyes burned with hatred as you stalked through the halls of the Port Maffia.

Without Oda by your side, Mori had found himself a new toy. He worked you like a dog the following weeks after. He was manipulative and cruel, taking out his anger about Mimic and Dazai's stepping down on you.

You weren't sure when but sometime in those weeks, Mori had taken a liking to you, or rather watching you squirm with anger at him and the world that ripped all whom you'd loved from your grasp.

He made you feel hopeless, lost, violated, angry and without Oda as an outlet, you no longer knew how to cope. You thought you were getting better with the whole "five stages of grief" thing, but one thing you learned was that grief wasn't as cut and dry as that saying made it seem. It came in waves, unexpectedly in the happiest moments, like a rope that pulled you into the dark. Grief feels like a ball and chain that seems like it will way you down for eternity.

Your chain was heavy, so heavy you weren't sure you could bear it. You felt like Mori was stacking chain after chain on you and continuously tossing you in the water to struggle to the surface. You were drowning again and just when you thought you'd learned to swim.

"Are you okay?"

You turned to meet Chuuya's face as he matched your stride down the hall. Your expression softened a little and you managed a small smile.

"Mori's just getting under my skin a lot lately. Without Oda or Dazai between us now, he thinks he can use me however he sees fit." Your voice began to break, "It's just so frustrating, Chuuya. I don't even know how to stick up for myself anymore. He makes me feel so powerless."

You squeezed your hands together as you walked, not noticing Chuuya stopping in his tracks for a moment. When you realized he wasn't by your side, you turned quizzically.

"You don't. It's unfortunate, and I agree it's very frustrating, but if you're not an executive, there's not much you can get away with. Mori sees most of the PM members as disposable, even some of the executives." Chuuya balled his fists. "That pain in the *** Dazai was the only one I've ever seen the boss treat like a worthy adversary."

You bit your lip and sighed.

"That isn't what I needed to hear, Chuuya. Can't you see?"

You tossed your grief aside and returned to your mentor's side to comfort him. The two of you sat against the wall, hand in hand. Chuuya hid his face beneath his hat. You gently ran your fingers over his hand and sat in silence for a moment.

"I suppose the boss gave you a new job?" Chuuya questioned, trying to hide the break in his voice.

The hall was as busy as it usually was, people pushing past and carrying paperwork, some on the phone, others talking with one another, but none of them seemed to notice you on the floor. You felt completely alone, even with Chuuya sitting beside you.

"Yeah," you said as you watched the others pass. "He said something about taking somebody out that cost us money." You let go of Chuuya's hand and pulled your legs to your chest and hid your face. "He worked for Mimic." You cursed under your breath. "That's all I am and it's all I'll ever be. A weapon in his arsenal."

Chuuya looked up. Chuuya too cursed under his breath. "Hey, I'm sorry kid. I didn't mean to..." he sighed. He tenderly ran his hand over your hair, his voice gentler than ever before. "You are so much more than just a weapon. You're a beautiful young woman with the biggest heart I've ever seen. You're strong and independent, intelligent and so, so kind. Honestly, the Port Maffia wishes they had more people like you."

You sniffed and lifted your head.

"Who are you and what have you done with Chuuya?" You giggled through a few sobs.

You swear you could see the vein in Chuuya's forehead burst.

"WHAT THE ****, Y/N?! ****!" He cursed and smacked you on the head. "See if I'm ever nice to you again! God!"

You giggled. "There he is!"

Chuuya growled and tried to stalk off with his hands in his pockets but you stood and caught his wrist.

"Thank you, Chuuya. That meant the world to me."

Chuuya smirked.

"I didn't say anything untruthful."

Tears streamed down your face for the hundredth time that week. You felt so weak how could you be beautiful?

Chuuya pulled you close.

"I'm so proud of you Y/n."

You smiled, realizing you weren't alone after all. Even with Oda and Dazai gone, Chuuya was still there to support you.

Chuuya rubbed the back of his head awkwardly.

"So, uh... did you need help with that job?"

You laughed through the last of your tears and sniffed.

"Yeah."

——

You stared at yourself in the mirror. Your nerves bubbled up inside you as you waited in the dressing room. Your mission was to impersonate a show girl and use the stage as your vantage point to scope out the Mimic members with Chuuya and Akutagawa agreeing to tag along for support, dressed as waiters. You were a nervous wreck because Mori hadn't told you what you were looking for. He told you that you would recognize them when you saw them, whatever that meant.

You didn't like not knowing what you were doing or how to prepare.

You lost your train of thought when a club worker announced the beginning of the live music event.

Your breath hitched in your throat as you walked down the hall. It felt like the world was moving in slow motion. You heard your name announced over the speaker and pushed back the curtain.

The roar of applause and cheers made your cheeks grow warm. The excitement in your stomach overpowers your nerves as you walk to the microphone.

You were wearing a red satin dress and diamond accessories. Your hair was pulled up in a beautiful, sleek bun on the back of your head, held in place by a diamond hair comb.

The feeling was electrifying as you stepped out into the spotlight center stage and took your microphone. You made eye contact with your partner and nodded slightly as you waited for the crowd to quiet.

You scanned the crowd for Chuuya when you spotted him. Your eyes widened and a chill ran through your bones.

Everything you'd felt before faded when you saw that man in the crowd. When you finally saw Chuuya, you could tell that he and Akutagawa had also recognized him. Mori's words played through your mind as the shock ran electrical through your blood. The hair on your arms stood on end as you remembered what he'd said,

"You'll know him when you see him."

That is all Mori would tell you about your target. Your mouth felt dry and your shoulders tense. Every bone in your body was telling you to run, to fight, to kill him. Do something!

Those few short seconds felt like an eternity. Only when the crowd calmed did you come to your senses. Anger boiled in your stomach, but you bit back your tongue and plastered a smile on your lips.

You lifted the microphone feeling the same electricity you had before, only something darker surged through you now.

Gide was alive and he was your target.