𝟎𝟏𝟎

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

Madeline held Katie in her arms with a smile as Polly entered the den, looking around with confusion whilst everyone clapped for her. "What's the bloody hell is going on?" She muttered. Tommy walked forward and she placed her bag down. "When did you get back?"

"Didn't want to miss your birthday, Pol." Tommy placed a hand on her back.

Everybody got back to work after Arthur's instructing and Tommy walked Polly through the house. John sat back in his chair beside where Madeline was stood and placed his hand on her waist, pulling her slightly closer.

"Right go on, Katie. Go with Isiah and he will help you with your homework." Madeline nodded toward the boy.

Isiah pushed himself off the wall and dropped his cigarette into an ashtray before offering his hand to Katie and walking her into the living room.

"John, Finn— bring the car around." Tommy called out. Madeline looked at John and he sighed, kissing her forehead and quickly going outside. After a few seconds, Finn returned with an angry look on his face.

Maddie watched his storm through the house and raised an eyebrow. Getting up, she followed after him and closed the doors behind her. "What's up, Finn?" She asked with concern. He forcefully pulled chair from the table and sat down.

"Tom told me to stay." He huffed, taking out a cigarette and lighting it. "I don't get it," he said with a frown. "They don't let me do anything."

Madeline wondered whether it was right for her to speak on the matter.

"You're still young, Finn. That could be why they keep you away from the business." She offered him an excuse. He scoffed and looked away whilst shaking his head. "They're taking Polly to a bloody house— there's not much that can happen!" Finn snapped.

Madeline put her pencil down and raised her eyebrows at the boys tone. "Don't go getting in a nark with me about it," She said. "I'm the one who is stuck here day in day out writing down bloody numbers!"

Finn pursed his lips together and smiled slightly. "D'ya think they'll ever get round to me? It's like they forget I exist."

"I believe that if the gods decide this life is not for you, your brothers will never involve you. But for now, i'd suggest enjoying the freedom you have whilst you can. You can go out drinking and smoking with Isiah when you please. If one day Thomas finally decides to include you, that freedom may not be offered to you."

Finn listened to her carefully. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Be around somebody who's whole personality is the fact they can say by order of the peaky blinders. If I were to say that— they'd laugh in my fucking face."

Madeline placed her hands over his and let out a breath. "You'll find that John is different. He likes the power, not what he can do with it. I think your brother prefers being able to protect his family rather than hurting people." Maddie said.

-

"Hello, love." John said quickly, placing a kiss on Maddie's face before going to hang up his coat. She watched as Tommy stormed through the busy den and made his way to his office, slamming the door behind him.

She turned in her seat and frowned. "What's happened?" Maddie asked John.

John let out a breath and shook his head. "Arthur's only gone and killed one of the lads in a gym. Finn says he's going mad." John said quietly, pouring himself a glass of whiskey.