001 screen test

"YOU'D BE PERFECT for the role," the dark-haired man in the cream suit told you. "I know you're probably not trying to get fame right now, but maybe just consider it, please?"

You blinked behind the counter, not quite knowing what to do with yourself. The man was holding up the line. His olive skin was warm against the café's rustic interior design. Behind him, people began to murmur unhappily.

"Sir," you said, "this is a student-run café."

He handed you his sleek business card. "I know you've been in some modern cult classic indie films like Bodies Bodies Bodies, and it's cute that you're a barista on the side. But seriously, this show is gonna be a hit. Tell your agent to email me."

"I'll look into it," you said, just to humor him.

"You're a scream queen," he said. "We do lots of screaming on the show. You'd be perfect."

"That sounds mentally draining," you said, half-joking so he'd take the hint. You glanced at the line behind him, where a few middle-aged women in tweed blazers were already tapping their feet in impatience. "Sir, please—there's a line behind you—"

But the man threw his head back and laughed. "Aha! Right response, you're just like Y/N!"

In his odd cheerfulness, he accidentally spilled coffee on his suit. He winced. The drink was scorching, and it had stained his clean dress shirt. Now, the people behind the line were staring daggers at him in disbelief.

"Sir," you said steadily. "There are paper towels by the restrooms."

"Not to worry, not to worry," he said. "Look—just send an audition tape, okay? Don't worry, kid—I've got a good feeling about you."

He left in bright spirits, the wooden wind chimes on the café door clinking as he shut it behind him. As your coworker slid to take your shift by the register after the manager was finally through with the restless crowd, you glanced at the business card he had left you with.

Eriko Saito
Executive Producer
WIT Studio

Your heart leaped out of your chest.

WIT Studio? As in, Vinland Saga WIT Studio? Loid and Yor Forger's WIT Studio? That couldn't be. That was a major film company. You couldn't have possibly been scouted and approached by a major producer from the WIT Studio. They made hit anime adaptations, and you were just... an indie film actor in fairly good movies. It was never a serious job, just a part-time gig to pay for your gas money and online shopping expenses.

You weren't meant for these huge TV shows—especially when you came from such a small and unassuming hometown where everyone knew each other.

But you were.

You dialed your agent's number and hit call as you helped another teenage coworker unpack tiny jute sacks of dark coffee grounds.

"Hey, Gian," you said. "Have you ever watched Tokyo Butterfly?"

"Oh my God," Gian, your agent, was saying on the other end. "I just got an email from WIT Studio. It was from Eriko Saito. Y/N, what did you do?"

You winced as if she had scolded you. "Acted in Bodies Bodies Bodies?"

"He wrote that—oh my gosh, this is it—he wants you to audition for the lead female role in Attack on Titan!"

You dropped the jute sack in shock, spilling coffee beans all over the counter. When your manager threw you a look of disapproval, you signed sorry and shifted your phone to the other hand as you began to clean it up. It was bad enough you were taking a call during a shift, but it was urgent. You were pretty sure she was going to lay you off, but oh my gosh, the lead female in a WIT production?