Chapter 8: Stone Giants.

As Harry Potter, Bilbo, and the rest of Thorin's Company all went to sleep. Gandalf and Elrond continued to walk and talk of the quest. "Of course, I was going to tell you. I was waiting for this very chance." Gandalf told Elrond. "And really, I think you can trust that I know what I am doing."

"Do you?" Elrond asked. "That dragon has slept for 60 years. What will happen if your plan should fail, if you wake that beast?" 

"What if we succeed?" Gandalf replied. "If the Dwarves take back the mountain, our defenses in the east will be strengthened." 

"It is a dangerous move, Gandalf." Elrond admitted. 

"It is also dangerous to do nothing." Gandalf countered. And Elrond looked at him cautiously. "Oh, come, the throne of Erebor is Thorin's birthright. What is it you fear?" 

"Have you forgotten? A strain of madness runs deep in that family." Elrond reminded. "His Father succumbed to the same sickness. Can you swear Thorin Oakenshield will not also fall? Gandalf, these decisions do not rest with us alone. It is not up to you or me to redraw the map of Middle Earth." 

"With or without our help, these Dwarves will march on the mountain." Gandalf said as they walked up the stairs. "They're determined to reclaim their homeland. I do not believe Thorin Oakenshield feels that he is answerable to anyone. Nor, for that matter, am I." 

"It is not me you must answer to." Elrond reminded. 

To prove his point, there was a figure beyond the terrace that Gandalf and Elrond had walked up to. The Tall figure, with long flowing blonde hair. And she turned to Gandalf and Elrond. The Lady Galadriel.

"Lady Galadriel." Gandalf greeted eloquently. 

"Mithrandir. It has been a long time." Galadriel greeted. 

"Age may have changed me, but not so the Lady of Lorien." Gandalf replied. It made Galadriel smile. "I had no idea Lord Elrond had sent for you." 

"He didn't." Another booming but commanding voice sounded out of the other side of the terrace. This had come from a Wizard in White Robes. The Head of the Wizards in Middle Earth. Saruman the White. "I did." 

"Saruman." Gandalf greeted with a bow. 

"You've been busy of late, my friend." Saruman noted. He then looked around. "Hm. We appear to be one member short." 

"Yes. Where is he?" Elrond agreed. 

But Galadriel didn't look worried. She felt a whispering in the air. "Here he comes now." She said.

And everyone turned to see the final member of the meeting. An Old Wizard with Grey Robes, and a long white beard on his face. Much like Gandalf and Saruman had. And he bowed respectfully to the others. "Apologies for my lateness. But of course, a Wizard arrives precisely when he means to." The figure known as Albus Dumbledore greeted. 

"Hello, Albus." Gandalf greeted. 

Dumbledore looked at Gandalf and replied with a bow.

"Tell me, Gandalf, did you think these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed?" Saruman asked. 

"Unnoticed?" Gandalf asked surprised. "No, Albus and I are simply doing what we feel to be right." 

"The Dragon has long been on your mind." Galadriel admitted.

"This is true, Lady Galadriel. Smaug owes allegiance to no one. But if he should side with the enemy, Voldemort could use him to terrible effect." Dumbledore pointed out.