⇜E⇝

I think I'm going to die. Toshiaki's in hospital. He had a heart attack. But he survived. That's the main thing. His heart beats slowly.

I hate hospitals. I'd rather die than go here. The irony of being a donor and having to go through hospitals.

I watch Wada's torso rise and fall to the rhythm of his gentle breathing. He's alive. That's the main thing.

— Madame, visitors have not been allowed for an hour.

I'd forgotten that little detail.

— I'm sorry, madame. May I say goodbye ?

— Of course, but please hurry.

— I'll hurry

I get up and approach his sleeping face. I kiss his soft cheek and give him a gentle hug.

— See you tomorrow Toshiaki

I head for the bedroom exit. I greet Dr Im Nayeon and head off to work.

My teammate, Park Jihyo, is quietly waiting for me on the office sofa. Coffee in one hand, hot chocolate in the other.

— Coffee or chocolate ?

— Coffee

— Here you are.

— Thanks, Park

I take the cup containing the coffee and head for my desk. I start work.

⇜⇝

I observe the time on the clock in front of me. A little after one in the morning. I'm sipping the bottom of my coffee that's been chilling for hours.

The bitter taste of the drink lingers in my mouth for long minutes. I move closer to Jihyo, who is working on an important case.

— I'm off to bed, see you tomorrow for the meeting.

— See you tomorrow, you owe me a drink by the way.

— Of course I do.

I leave the room and close the door slowly and quietly. I head for my room. I share my room with Son Chaeyoung, a science student staying here.

I knock on the door and open it. My roommate is still awake, her hair hastily tied back into a bun. I greet her and go straight off to bed.