35 | Fight

Her attempts were in vain, his strong hand wrapping around her neck, effortlessly lifting her off the ground.

She frantically clawed at his hand, gasping for air. Mustering as much confidence and bravery as she could, she managed to wheeze out, "you don't have to do this."

Something in his eyes flickered, but his eyes clouded back over in a matter of seconds. Still, that was enough to prove to her that he was fighting whatever was controlling him.

His eyes locked onto hers. His voice creaked out of him, rusty with disguise. "I wish that were true."

BANG!

In a fit of coughs, Sophie was dropped to the ground.

The one loud bang was followed by countless others- gunfire. She ducked for cover, peeking through her fingers to see Cillian had been shot. The culprit?

"Carlos!?" She exclaimed, screaming as she was hauled up and over his shoulder. "You just shot my husband!"

"Please, he's a lycanthrope. It's gonna take a lot more than a bullet to the shoulder to kill him." He scoffed. Once that were at a safer distance, he set her down. "I think what you mean to say is, 'oh wonderful and handsome Carlos! Thank you so much for saving my life!' Gosh, you're so ungrateful."

"You... you son of a-"

"Was 'wonderful' asking for too much?"

Before Sophie could rip him a new one, the thudding of footsteps sounded behind them. "Soph, you okay? Are you hurt?-" Sully's anxious rambling was cut off by the sound of rapid gunfire.

Everyone ducked and both men shielded Sophie with their own bodies. "This way! We'll be safer over there!" Carlos shouted over the horrendous noise, quickly guiding the pair into the woods to take refuge behind a fallen tree.

Sophie nearly screamed as a bullet zipped by her head, hitting the tree behind her. "I thought you said we were safe!" She screamed, slouching down even more behind the tree.

"No? Do you even listen to me? I said we were safer, not safe." Carlos sassed with a roll of his eyes. "And honestly, this is going better than I thought it would."

"What are you talking about?" Sophie exasperated, her eyes wide. "We're basically being held at gunpoint!"

"Well, yes, but they haven't shot us yet, have they?" He resorted.

Sully rolled his eyes and leaned closer to his sister in law. "You alright?"

"I'm okay." She nodded and asked both of the men. "But Carlos? Really?"

"If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have known where to look for you." Sully explained, but in a tone of voice that sounded disappointed.

She looked over at the man, a smug look on his face.

With a sigh, she exasperated, "Please tell me you guys have a plan to get out of here?"

Sully blinked.

"We're gonna die." Sophie faceplamed.