Chapter 3

Larissa's POV:

Once all the students had been chosen by a dragon, we all stood in the clearing waiting for the head master's instructions.

The headmaster stood before us, instead of looking at us though he was looking behind us. When I turned around I saw he was looking at professor Knox who was making his way to the front holding the same ornate chest that held the gem shard used in the ceremony.

"Now that all of you have your dragons, it is time for you all to form the sacred bond between dragon and rider." The headmaster said looking at all of us before continuing "when your name is called please step forward with your dragon and place one hand on the dragons leg and the other on the stone."

"The stone will do the rest" he said finishing his explanation. I watched as person after person went up and touched the stone with their dragon, each of them graining a look of, I don't even know how to describe it. They looked as if they were hearing for the first time, as if they had been deaf before.

"Larissa Clawthorne"

It was my turn. I looked at the beast next to me, who already started walking towards the headmaster. I has to walk a little faster so I was next to it.

I looked at the shard and then the thing, I didn't actually want to touch it. I knew I had to though.

So I reluctantly placed my hand on it's leg looking at it to see it's reaction. It didn't show any, except for standing a little straighter.

Looking to the shard I grew a little nervous, but I steeled my nerves and touched the shard. At first nothing happened and just as I was about to remove my hand from the shard an overwhelming sensation hit me like a carriage.

It felt like nothing I had ever felt before, everything looked and sounded clearer then before, even the air smelt fresher. I could feel so many different emotions all at once, which is when I realized some of them weren't mine. I felt as if a part of me that I didn't even know was missing was suddenly there. I felt whole.

"Xenos"

'What?'

"That is my name"

Before I could even react to the voice the sensation was gone and I had let go of the shard. I wonder if I shared the same look as those who went before me.

I stepped away from the stone so the next person could touch the shard. After everyone had gone, the headmaster suggested we all stay in the clearing until dinner and bond with our dragons.

I decided to sit down and attempt to talk to the voice in my head. The beast  I was now bonded to was laying next to me.

'Hello?'

"Hello little human."

'Who are you'

"I did not realize I chose a slow human." 

'I'm not slow. And you never answered my question.'

"I'm laying right next to you."

I looked to my right where the beast was and saw it was already looking at me, with it's molten gold eyes.

'great I can talk to a lizard in my mind'

It growled in anger at my words.

"watch your tongue"

I jumped back at it's loud voice in my head and shuffled away slightly. I decided I to stop trying to talk to it and look around instead. Many people were talking and bonding with their dragons as well as meeting the other students and making friends.