Rescue

Great weather it was outside, the sun was beginning to come up the horizon, casting an orange-ish glow with a tint of yellow in it, dreamy little clouds were scarcely scattered. The perfect weather for Thanksgiving day, all preparations had been made. The turkey well toasted and stuffed with mouth watering fillings, rice cooked to the perfect texture, bowls filled with fruits, air fried and roasted fish covered with the spicy scent of condiments and lemon. Coupled with the soft sun and the crisp air of autumn, the silence in the roads, Zylith was truly grateful.

On the dining table, splayed a variety of food, siting on it was Zylith as she happily indulged on the food with a fork in the left and her right hand holding a knife. She cut into the fish as quietly as she could, careful not to spear into the ceramic and making sounds that irritated her hearing. Zylith took a bite of the turkey on her plate, the juices running down her lips to her chin, as salt mixed into the juices and dripped onto the fish. She stretched her upper body to take a pluck out of the berries across from her.

Her muffled sounds of pure enjoyment resounded silently in the dining room that should have been filled with 3 more members, one of the now laying down in the corner in a puddle of their own blood. The other 2 locked in a room, one of the constantly snarling, the other making out loud moans.

Zylith had worried she had mistaken the corpse for her aunt, but as the moaning zombie had kept up it's ministrations, Zylith was sure she had killed her aunt, that made her happy. Happy, she hadn't killed her mother without being able to inflict as much pain as she could. If you call 43 stabs and a smashed head a silent death, that is. Even now, she wanted to barge into the room and tell the zombie to shut it but she'd have to kill her brother and he didn't want that, she decided to respect his wishes. However, the moans were getting more and more annoying but Zylith held on.

Wiping the salty water from her chin, Zylith was eating from the rice and was about to turn her fish to eat the other side, not even having finished the upper part, when she paused.

"Zylith don't turn the fish just yet, that's the fun of eating fish, eat the top layer first and then dig out the bone, before eating the other side" Her mother's voice echoced like she was just beside her. Zylith smiled at the memory. She turned it over, pat it a with her knife and continued eating her breakfast while the streets were dyes of red and black and the occasional screams would echo once in a while in the now silent community.

Zylith rested on her side as she lazily sat on the couch, observing the zombies that were running helter skelter. The realization of what the world had turned into did nothing to hinder her happiness of right now as she sun bated in the calm sun on the roof of the apartment beside hers. The roof was flat and had a raised top, to which she was now crouched in front of, a binocular in hand as she continued surveilling her environment with her camera's all over the perimeter and binoculars she had found downstairs.

Most houses had either been broken into or... broken out of.

The windows were shattered, there was a small flood forming, that streamed down and seemed endless. Zombies were constantly running and attacking anything they could see. Anything they could hear.

"They are in a state of vigilance, they are alert and can hear small sounds at a 20 meters radius, they can see as far as about 150 meters and would attack anyone they see, injured or not" Zylith whispered under her breath to no one in particular.

"Hear that ME?" Zylith's lips twitched upon not receiving a reply

She hurriedly brought out her book and scribbled on it with a pen, all the things she had obsevered in the past 4 hours of being up on a roof, overseeing the city

"I wonder why they attack anyone even when they pose no threat, but who am I to talk, I'd definitely do the same thing, it's almost like they're scared" She smiled at this. The zombies down there and her, were not so different.