𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤

CHLOE STARED AROUND. She had emerged into a dingy alleyway that seemed to be made up entirely of shops devoted to the Dark Arts. The one she had just left, Borgin and Burkes, certainly looked like the largest, but opposite was a nasty window display of shrunken heads and, two doors down, a large cage was alive with gigantic black spiders.

Two shabby-looking wizards were watching the Potter girl from the shadow of a doorway, muttering to each other. Feeling jumpy, Chloe set off, hoping she would be able to find a way out.

An old wooden street sign hanging over a shop selling poisonous candles told Chloe she was in Knockturn Alley

An old wooden street sign hanging over a shop selling poisonous candles told Chloe she was in Knockturn Alley. That didn't help because Chloe had never heard of such a place. She supposed she hadn't spoken clearly enough through her mouthful of ashes back in the Weasleys' fire.

Trying to stay calm, Chloe wondered what to do. "Not lost are you, my dear?" A voice asked, which immediately made the startled redhead jump.

An aged witch stood in front of Chloe, holding a tray of what looked horribly like whole human fingernails. She leered at her, showing mossy teeth.

"I'm fine, thank you," said Chloe, who was coyly backing away from the woman. "I-I was just-"

Chloe turned to leave, but was stopped by two men and a woman who were all of old age and standing in front of her menacingly. "Come with us," said the mossy old woman, after she put a hand on Chloe's right shoulder, "we'll help you find your way back."

"No, p-please, I-" Chloe murmured, uncomfortably. "Chloe?" A familiar voice spoke up, at once.

As Chloe's heart leapt, so did the witch. A load of fingernails cascaded down over her feet and she cursed as the massive form of Hagrid, the Hogwarts gamekeeper, came striding toward them, beetle-black eyes flashing over his great bristling beard. "Hagrid!" Chloe gasped, in great relief.

"What d'yeh think yer doin' down there? Come on." Hagrid told Chloe, then pulled her away from the witch, knocking the tray right out of her hands.

The mossy woman's shrieks followed Chloe and Hagrid all the way along the twisting alleyway out into bright sunlight. Chloe saw a familiar white marble building in the distance - Gringotts Bank. Hagrid had steered her right into Diagon Alley.

"Yer a mess, Chloe," said Hagrid, brushing soot off Chloe so forcefully he nearly knocked her into a barrel of dragon dung just outside of an apothecary. "Skulkin' around Knockturn Alley. Dodgy place. Don' want no one ter see yeh there. People will think yer up to no good." He stated.

"I realised that, Hagrid," said Chloe, with a nod. "I was lost. But what were you doing down there?"

"Me? Oh, I was, erm.. I was lookin' fer Flesh-Eatin' Slug Repellent. They're ruinin' all the school cabbages. Yer not on yer own?" Hagrid asked.