𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐀𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐁𝐢𝐠 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞

CHLOE POTTER WAS a highly unusual girl in many ways. For one thing, she hated the summer holidays more than any other time of year.

For another, she really wanted to do her homework but was forced to do it in secret, in the dead of night. And she also happened to be a witch.

It was nearly midnight and she was lying on he stomach in bed, the blankets drawn right over her head like a tent, a flashlight in one hand and a rather large leather-bound book (A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot) open against the pillow.

Chloe moved the tip of her eagle-feather quill down the page, frowning as she looked for something that would help her write her essay, 'Witch-Burning in the Fourteenth Century Was Completely Pointless - discuss'. The quill paused at the top of a likely-looking paragraph. Chloe pushed her round glasses up the bridge of her nose, moved her torch closer to the book and began to read.

Chloe put her quill between her teeth and reached underneath her pillow for her ink bottle and a roll of parchment

Chloe put her quill between her teeth and reached underneath her pillow for her ink bottle and a roll of parchment. Slowly, and very carefully, she unscrewed the ink bottle, dipped her quill into it and began to write, pausing every now and then to listen. If any of the Dursleys heard the scratching of her quill on their way to the bathroom, she would probably find herself locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the rest of the summer.

The Dursley family of number four, Privet Drive, was the reason that Chloe never enjoyed his summer holidays. Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and their son, Dudley, were Chloe's only living relatives.

The Dursleys were Muggles and had a very medieval attitude toward magic. Chloe's dead parents, who had been a witch and wizard themselves, were never mentioned under the Dursleys' roof. For years, Petunia and Vernon had hoped that if they kept Chloe as downtrodden as possible, they would be able to squash the magic out of her. To their fury, they were unsuccessful.