Explanations

Here is Part 3! I am having so much fun writing this story guys and I hope you are enjoying reading it just as much! 

Explanations

An extensive career working with people at their most vulnerable changes substantially the way a person sees the world. Poppy had learned very quickly, for example, when people wanted to speak and when they just wanted to be comforted. She knew instantly that Minerva fell into the latter category. After giving her the initial shoulder she needed, she had moved her to her private quarters and called out of the wing for a few hours. In all their years of friendship, she had never seen Minerva so shaken. She knew whatever nerve this news had touched was a raw and deep one. So she was gentle in her initial actions. Even if she had wished to probe for more immediately, Minerva was so upset that the only thing Poppy could really do was sit with her, comfort her, and give her time. But after a while, she seemed to recover a bit and Poppy made tea and placed it in her lap. Hazarding that she might be up for it now she made the move to clear the elephant from the room.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked, raising her eyes to meet the other woman's. Minerva swallowed hard. They sat quietly for a moment.

"I do," Minerva replied. "I just have no idea how to begin".

"Well, I think you know where I would ask you to start." her friend coaxed. But not wanting to plunge her back into upset, Poppy said no more for a minute, letting the other woman think. Watching her inhale deeply, she took it as a sign she was ready and so dropped the burning question.

"Who is it, Min?"

Silence.

"Was." Minerva finally said.

"I'm sorry?" Poppy replied, bewildered and increasingly curious.

"Who WAS he," Minerva half explained. "That's what you should be asking me".

Poppy took a beat and put her cup down. "Oh Min, I'm so sorry," she said, thinking she had caught her drift. "But I'm sure he'd be more than willing to help if he knew, you're not the type to pick someone unreliable. Take as much time as you need and let him know when you're ready. I'll help in any way I can, whatever you need".

Minerva dropped back into silence. Returning her gaze to her lap she bit her lip, once again fighting tears. Then, in a whisper, she said:

"I can't tell him"

Poppy was now fighting the exasperation rising within her. The cryptic, roundabout Minerva was not the one she was used to. The Minerva she knew was straight up and to the point. What on Earth had gotten into her?

"What do you mean you can't tell him?"

More silence.

"He's dead, Poppy."

Poppy didn't quite think she had heard correctly. But the cogs whirred as she turned the announcement over and over in her mind. Dead? What did she mean dead? Yes, there had been deaths of course, but none she could see Minerva being connected with. None within the correct time fr-. She froze. No. No, it couldn't be. It couldn't possibly be.

"Your face tells me you know who I mean." Minerva said, fresh tears rolling down her face.

"Oh Minerva," Poppy said, getting up to embrace the woman who had begun once again to sob.

A while later, Minerva had once again calmed down.

"I don't know how it happened, it just sort of...did? It was all so quick, I-I"

"Do not upset yourself again" Poppy soothed. "It happened, and that is all to be said on it. I do however confess my surprise, I never thought you were his, shall we say, type?"

"Neither did I. But I suppose loneliness has no type, Poppy. And Albus Dumbledore was one of the loneliest men I have ever known."

"And you didn't think to be careful, at all?" Poppy queried, exasperation returning to her once again.

"I'm 44 years old Poppy! It never happened when I wanted it to, why on Earth would I believe it could happen when I didn't".

Poppy shifted uncomfortably in her seat, realising that had been unfair. "Yes, of course, I'm sorry Minerva". She paused before speaking again. "You can always talk to me, you know. I may not be as wise as Albus was. But my ear is just as yours as his was."

"I know Pop, I know." Minerva smiled, squeezing her hand. "I just struggle on the expressing my feelings front, as you well know".

"I do indeed" her friend chuckled. "So now that you seem better, I will come back to the facts. I'm sure you're well aware that your age is not to your advantage in this situation. Now, there is absolutely no reason that things shouldn't be perfectly alright, but you need to mind yourself. Your health overall is impeccable, which is definitely something that goes in your favour. The baby has made your iron low, which would explain your tiredness. But that's easily fixed and nothing to worry about, I'll give you something to take for it this evening. Just to be safe I want you to come and see me once a month until the baby is born to make sure things are as they should be and to make you fully aware of your risks."

Minerva nodded her understanding. A little while later, she went with Poppy to collect the medicine for her iron and she bid her friend goodnight. Her head spun the whole walk back to her quarters. Why the hell hadn't she been more careful? When she had been married she had suspected for years that the childless relationship had not been entirely, if any at all, her fault. But when it never happened, she and Elphistone decided that there was no use assigning blame. So they simply reconciled themselves to a relationship that would comprise just the two of them. But now she knew the truth. Damn it, why had she not taken some precaution, why had she not thought! Yes, she was almost 45. But she knew very well that the possibility of a child if she was able to have one was still on the table. How twisted irony was. She wanted the child the moment she knew of its existence. She didn't even have to think about it, it was a feeling with such strength as she had never known before. She had made up her mind to bite the bullet and announce it as soon as the term began. It was better that way, she felt. If she came straight out with it then there was no gossip to spread, no secret to uncover. She knew, of course, that she would still be subject to some amount of ridicule. But that was a price she was willing to pay. She would say it to the staff first naturally and then to her students. As she was about to open her door she froze, the slow horror of realisation washing over her once again.

"Oh God," she thought. "But first I've got to tell Louise".

Well, there it is! As always, I would appreciate a review and any feedback beyond words. See you soon!