The Observatory (oneshot)

Ive noticed this book doesnt get much attention anymore, so im wondering of its what i post thats the reason. Anyway, if it is, then im still more then happy to take requests, because then my content makes people happy because its what they want to see :)

Idc whatever the hell happens in your ideas, i will write it. No matter the ships or the AU.

🫂🫂
___________________________________________

Dashi often found herself snooping around the lab. Shellington's lab. She was the only other marine biologist, so it always looked completley innocent, all she had to do was make sure Shellington didnt walk in on her.

Shed found lots of sweet things hed kept. It turns out Shellington had kept a friendship bracelet Dashi had got them back in 2007. It was broken beyond repair and it took Dashi a while to even notice what it was, but she couldnt deny the tears brought to her eyes when she realised. Countless polaroid pictures of the two, plushies theyd won together at fairs, everything was such a blast of nostalgia.

Dashi knew to keep off of Shellington's more private things, which she knew were kept under his mattress, but she couldn't help herself sometimes. That was how she discovered her partner had an entire sketchbook just dedicated to sketches of Dashi. Some were just sketches of photos they had together, but some were more imaginitive. Dashi's favourite was one of her as a knight riding on a horse, with Shellington sitting on her lap. She always giggled at the thought of Shellington daydreaming about that. Needless to say, the quality of all his drawings were beyond outstanding.

Dashi never dared to touch his journal, she knew he had some very personal things that they only confided to their journal. If Shellington didn't tell Dashi, that mean his secret was dirty...

Dashi always chose to respect that part of Shellington's privacy, but her absolute favourite thing from under the mattress was a tattered stuffed whale shark. Whale sharks were Shellington's absolute favourite sea creatures, because even though there wasnt much to them, he his secret plushie. The tag on it said 1995, meaning Shellington was only one when they got the toy. Dashi cradled it in her hands and smelled the Shellington scent on the plushie.

"Dashi...?"

Dashi jumped in fear and turned around. It was only Shellington...

"whos this little guy?" Dashi smiled as she handed the stuffed whale shark to her partner. She was suprised to see their scowl.

"why are you going through my things?" Shellington muttered, looking visibly uncomfortable at the thought of what Dashi may have found. Dashi blushed and looked away, somewhat in shame.

"You dont tell me much... So i like finding stuff about you like this" Dashi stuttered, red faced as ever. Shellington took the plushie from Dashi and looked down at her. Dashi saw the hurt look on their face.

"You could've just asked me..." Shellington whispered. Now tears were beggining to form in their eyes. Dashi's chest felt like it was going to burst from the guilt. She went to talk,

"Shel... You know i wouldnt do this to be mean or make fun of you..." She said, "I haven gone through your journal. You know i wouldnt do that."

Shellington rolled his eyes,
"really? So my journal is just open on the floor behind you?"

Dashi looked behind to see Shellington's most private possession, open on the floor behind her. Of course she hadn't touched it, it must have fell while she was looking for the whale shark toy. She saw the tiniest glimpse of what was written, and felt the tears now being brung to her eyes.

"i know that a 30 year old person keeping a journal is pathetic, but it helps to write everything down, at least thats what Dashi said. God i love her... Talk about a saviour. I like to think shes whats keeping me here right now..."

Dashi realised the extract must have been written back when Shellington was suicidal. Dashi reached out to caress her partner's cheek, but Shellington turned around and left his room, leaving Dashi in her cloud of guilt.

___________________________________________

Dashi walked along the hallway, half wanting the floor to swallow her, and the other half desperately trying to find Shellington. She heared a faint sniff from behing a door.

Weird... Shed never been in that door before, shed always just assumed it was storage. She hesitantly opened the door, and was taken aback by the sight of a narrow room with black metal floors and walls, but at the very end of it, was a big glass screen that allowed a person to see the ocean. Dashi saw a curled up silhouette of her partner. The room was very dark, so she assumed it was Shellington who hung up the fairy lights.

Dashi quietly walked to the end of the room and leaned on her partners shoulders. Shellington didn't protest and, still crying, leant back into Dashi's lap. The couple lay snuggled tight into eachother, and watched the countless fish swimming by the glass.

"Sorry..." Shellington sniffed,

"you dont need to be sorry for anything... I was the one going around your stuff." Dashi replied, wiping away a tear from Shellington's face.

"I know, but i don't like being mad at you..."

Dashi squeezed Shellington closer and looked around the room. It was a pretty little room, and a few pillows and and a rug on the floor would be a nice touch.

"maybe sometime soon we could decorate this room, like a blow up couch or something." Dashi thought out loud. Shellington looked out the window and smiled at a blue headed wrasse that drifted past.

"That'd be nice... But this room is a secret right? I mean, Tweak comes here sometimes but i dont want anyone else coming here..." Shellington said. Dashi knew what it was like to find a safe space, one so quiet and peaceful and pretty. Dashi kissed her partners forehead, catching him off guard, considering it was the thing he usually did to her.

Shellington cuddled the whale shark toy in Dashi's lap.
"i havent slept for 2 nights..." he yawned. Dashi stroked their forehead.

"you can sleep on me then" She replied, a d a school of fish swam by the window again.