Chapter 20 - Casting Light Into Shadows

"Liar," Zaen roared. Pulse thundering in his ears and breath rasping, Zaen lunged to head-butt the man.

Karzen jerked back. "For fuck's sake. Stop for a minute and I'll get them on the com."

Muscles trembling, Zaen barely kept from attacking him. No. No way. No fucking way was his mother and sister alive. They wouldn't let him think they were dead for ten long cycles. No, it wasn't possible.

As Karzen turned his projected holoscreen visible, a call rang and then was answered by—

Zaen blinked and swallowed, then stepped back. Tears welled faster than he could blink them away.

"Karzen? What's—is that... Zaen? Oh, stars! Sirah! Come quick! It's Zaen on the com!" his mother shouted, her familiar voice resonating within him. The image bobbled as the sound of running feet came through the audio.

"Zaen?" his sister asked, joining his mother's precious face. "Oh wow! Shards, we've missed you. Is it finally safe for him to visit, Karzen?"

Zaen opened his mouth, but the words wouldn't come. Instead, he just stared, taking in their faces, their voices. Could it be?

"It looks like his father has decided to get rid of him as well. He's no longer safe on Penates, not with Xavix on the throne," Karzen said. "You're going to have to make your move, Haellen."

"Shells, I'm not quite ready. Zaen? Zaen!" his mother snapped. "I know it's a shock but you have to get out of there with your soulmate. Now, Zaen. Don't go back to the palace."

Zaen shook his head, swaying on his feet. Her words were muffled and he couldn't quite make them out. She was real? It was actually his mother? His sister? Alive?

A sharp pain exploded on his cheek and he blinked. Sounds were too loud, colours too bright, but there was something—

"ZAEN! Pay attention NOW!" yelled his mother. "Don't make me have Karzen punch you again! Are you with me?"

"Mom?" his voice cracked.

"Yes, son. It's me," she added more gently.

Zaen reached out a trembling hand and his fingers went through the holographic display. His entire body shook.

"You're alive. You and Sirah, both."

She smiled, golden eyes sad. "Yes, we are. I'm sorry it wasn't safe to let you know before, and I'll tell you all about it when you get here. But you must leave now. Don't waste time. Don't go back to the palace."

"Father." Zaen's fists clenched and his voice strengthened. "Father did this. He tried to have you killed and now me?"

"Yes, son. But we'll talk more when you get here. I mean it. Don't waste time. Don't give him a chance to turn the planetary guardsmen on you. Go now. Karzen will guide you to us."

Zaen straightened and his dragonscale retreated. "Okay. I'll see you soon."

"I love you, Zaen. Sirah and I can't wait to hug you," his mother said as his sister waved.

The holographic display clicked off, and Zaen stared at it for another few seconds. His fucking father. After all that lying bastard's public speeches and private shows of grief, he'd been the one... Fury welled, hot and deep, expanding from his chest outward until he panted with the effort to keep from roaring.

"Zaen! Your mom! Your sister! They're—"

Zaen caught Caeryssa as she ploughed into his chest. "They're alive, yes. I just spoke with them." She gazed up at him, a wide grin and sparkle in those gorgeous eyes. Her happiness diffused the rage and settled something within him. He tightened his arms around her. "Thank you, little pixie." There would be time to deal with his traitorous father later.

"I'm so happy for you, Zaen."

He brushed his fingers through her silky hair. "Me, too. But I don't know if you heard the other side of that. It's my father"—he clenched his jaw, swallowing against the taste of betrayal and not wanting to claim kinship with that back-stabbing fucker—"King Xavix who tried to have them killed. He's behind my poisoning. We have to leave. We're going to join my mom."

Caeryssa scowled. "I didn't like your father so I can't say I'm surprised. When do we go?"

Zaen blinked. He'd not expected such calm acceptance from her. But then, she'd spent most of her life in starships or exploring new planets so perhaps he shouldn't have been too surprised.

"You need to go now. Your mom wasn't exaggerating," Karzen said as Caeryssa released Zaen and hugged her dad. He caught Zaen's gaze. "Do you trust everyone on your crew? Make sure no one has planted explosives on your ship or sabotaged you."

Zaen tapped his wrist com. "Mira, what's the status of the Nemesis?"

"Shields up and ready as soon as you return, Captain."

He blinked. He hadn't ordered the shields up. "Has anyone attempted entry or left the ship?"

"No one has left, but a royal guardsman attempted entry. I scanned him when he entered the bay and detected a portable explosive. Chief Engineer Isaac confirmed we had no orders for ordinance. I denied entry and raised shields."

Karzen raised his eyebrows.

Zaen smiled. "Well done, Mira. We will be returning to the ship shortly."

"That's your AI? Impressive initiative and problem-solving," said Karzen, nodding his approval.

"Thanks. My best friend and I built and trained her." His heart thudded. Emmed still thought Sirah was dead. Zaen looked at Caeryssa, hugging her father. He wasn't risking Caeryssa to get Emmed, especially after his friend's o-depped assault on her. The Nemesis could do without their communications and sensors specialist. Emmed would just have to wait.

Karzen kissed her forehead and released her. "Better get going before they try something else." He met Zaen's gaze. "We're heading to the Dragon's Eye Nebula. When you get to your ship, have Caeryssa com me. Her connection is guild encrypted but we don't have time to add that to your com unit. Not if they've already tried putting a bomb on your ship."

"I'll have them clear your ship. Make it seem like a wrong detention and tell them to keep looking for another Viper class cargo hauler." Zaen shrugged. "Unless you have a better idea?"

Karzen frowned, then shook his head. "No, that's as good as any."

Zaen held out his hand and a warm surge filled his chest as Caeryssa immediately laced her fingers with his. Karzen walked them to the entrance of his cargo bay, staying back from the light streaming in from the open hatch. Dhevun's large form was silhouetted in the entrance, facing outward into the hangar.

Odd. 

(1063 words)