CHAPTER 1 - Returning:

A Chance Encounter

Paige shoots up in her bed, eyes wide. She looks around the Poseidon cabin, taking in the strange features of the place.

The cabin itself has been downgraded from complete ocean-theme since the 5-year-old's appearance inside. So far, it's just her (Percy and Annabeth are 10).

She'd decorated her bunk with her stuffies and her bed has the air con on it.

"Paige!" There's knocking on the door. "Today's pack up day!"

The girl grabs her stuffed bear and waddles to the front door, opening it. Standing there is 10-year-old Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena. The girl who brought Paige to camp in the first place.

"I don't wanna go," Paige pouts. Annabeth sighs, hoisting her onto her hip and walking in.

"I know, Bub, I know. But you have to."

Paige crosses her arms. "I don't wanna."

"Paige. Come on," Annabeth shakes her head. She helps the little girl pack. "You know the deal around here. You're too young to have a cabin for a whole year."

"I know but-"

"No buts."

"Fine."

Annabeth finishes with Paige's bag and leads her outside. "You know I'll see you soon, right?"

"Next summer?" Paige holds out her pinky, smiling when Annabeth wraps her own around it.

"Next summer, Paige."

When she arrives back at the orphanage, Paige doesn't even get the chance to unpack.

"Brat!" Cassandra - the orphanage head - yells. "Now that you're back, go clean the adoption room. Adoption Day is tomorrow!"

Paige bites her lip, looking around the room. It's nice - as are the other girls and boys - it's just Cassandra that Paige deals with. She places her bag on her bed next to her best friends - Grace and Madelia - then heads downstairs.

The adoption rooms are grey rooms with beanbags and couches for adopters and adoptees to sit and talk about themselves. Paige has only ever been in them to clean, never to talk.

As she cleans one, Paige thinks about all her friends back at Camp. Annabeth and Luke, mostly. Tears fill her sea-green eyes, causing her to blink them away. She can't cry, not here.

"Brat!" Cassandra shrieks. "Are you done yet?"

"Y-yes ma'am," Paige nods, looking around. It's the cleanest it's been yet.

"Good. Now go upstairs."

She nods, heading upstairs when Cassandra grabs her wrist and twists it. "What do you say to me?"

"Yes ma'am," Paige mumbles, squeezing her eyes shut at the pain. Flashbacks of being on the run with Annabeth and Luke fill her head as she's released, and she runs up the stairs into her room.

She climbs onto her bed, burying her face in her knees in a ball. Thalia...

"Paige! Paige!" An older girl is kneeling in front of her, rubbing her arms. "Paige, you okay?"

She lifts her head, meeting the blue eyes of Jemima. The older girl smiles. "Hi sweetheart, you okay?"

"Now," Paige nods. She hugs Jemima, who chuckles and embraces her back.

"We'll get you ready for bed, hey?"

They slide off the bed and Paige changes into her nightgown. Jemima plaits her hair down her back and she climbs into bed, smiling at her friends.

"Hi Grace, hi Maddie," she says softly.

"Hi Paige," they whisper back. That's when Cassandra walks in to shut off the lights.

And Paige is enveloped in darkness as she heads into sleep. 

APRIL SPEAKS:

I have a view prewritten chapters I'll slowly give to you as I work