CHAPTER 3 - Going Home:

A Chance Encounter

The next morning, Paige groans as Grace whacks her with a pillow. "Get up Paige!"

She sighs, sitting up. Grace is in her favourite light blue dress. Madelia hands her a dress from Annabeth - with a maroon top half and a flowery bottom half.

Paige puts it on, giving Jemima - who has entered the room - her hairbrush. The girl brushes it out and then plays with it, tying the loose curls with a ribbon. Jemima hands her a jumper that she pulls on when there's a voice over the loudspeakers.

"All children to the meeting room immediately."

Paige takes Jemima's hand as they head down. Sam and the couples are back, ready to choose their child! Take them home!

Paige stands next to Grace as Cassandra reads out the names.

"Madelia to Mr and Mrs Williams. Grace to Miss Alexis. James and Jemima to Mr Smith."

Paige cries out softly as all her friends step away to their new families. She reaches her hand out but retracts it. She still has her Camp. That will NEVER change! It's her birthright to go!

"Alex to Mr and Ms Ashdown. And Paige to Mr Golbach," Cassandra spits out Paige's name.

Her head snaps up and to Sam, who's grinning. Paige takes off running, straight to him.

As he did when they separated yesterday, he bends down to catch her in his arms. When she bursts into tears, he stands and holds her in his arms.

"Shh, I've got you," he whispers. "I've got you and I won't let go."

She quietens down, her head against his chest. "Th-thank you."

He smiles, "of course, Paige. Ready to go?"

"Yes!"

They start their drive, Paige in a car seat in the back seat.

"Want to grab snacks for our long drive?" Sam asks. "It's almost four hours."

"Yeah!" Paige giggles, nodding.

They pull up to a gas station and Sam pulls Paige out. She runs inside, him laughing and following her.

They pick out some snacks. Paige giggles as Sam lifts her up so she can reach a packet of chips she was reaching for.

They sit back in the car and start their drive. Paige curls up in a ball in her car seat and her green eyes flicker closed.

Sam glances back and smiles as Paige rests quietly. Driving with one hand, he grabs a blanket Jemima had given him that was an adoption gift her 'Camp' wanted Paige to have. He covers her with it, chuckling as she cuddles it.

"So freaking cute," he turns back.

***

At the fifteen minute mark, Paige wakes up. She looks out the window and notices HALF-BLOOD HILL!

"Thalia!" Paige squeals. They drive past it and Paige waves. "Bye bye Thalia!"

Sam chuckles again. "Who's Thalia, Bub?"

"A friend," Paige giggles. She curls up again, glancing at the hill. "I miss Thalia."

"Yeah?"

"She didn't have to go," Paige murmurs, hugging her blanket tighter. "I wish she did'n."

In that moment, Sam understands. This 'Thalia' is gone. "Oh, Paige Bub..."

He looks in the rear view again and smiles softly when she glances to him. "You alright?"

"Mhm."

And before they know it, they've arrived at Paige's new home.

APRIL SPEAKS:

GUESS WHOOOOO