kindness in chance

"I want to tell you the story of someone who changed the destiny of many creatures, including my own life, someone I came to call brother, the story of Coeni, a small rabbit with gray fur who lived in the plains of Mindabal, a remote area with gentle streams, beautiful sunsets, and vast grasslands that stretched beyond the horizon.

Along with Mavane, his wife, and their fourteen children, they had a cabin far from the village, where they harvested lettuce, spinach, cabbages, and celery, among other things. The only thing they didn't grow was carrots, for some reason they avoided them, defying the common stereotype of their species.

During one of our many dinners together, I dared to ask: "I notice you don't plant carrots, is there a reason you don't like them?" Mavane, as kind and cheerful as ever, simply replied: "We prefer the greens." So, I remained with the same mystery as before, but I chose not to insist.

They led a very peaceful life, tending the land and caring for and educating their children; the 7 older boys and the 7 younger girls.

The Mindabians were known for their kindness, and although they didn't really socialize much with each other, they always helped one another if needed, despite the different races among them.

The mountains of that region had long since disappeared. According to legend, a rain from the sky had completely wiped them out, and all that remained to remind us of them were huge bluish rocks scattered throughout the land. It was a story that had been told for a long time, almost forgotten by the Mindabians, until those turquoise stones awakened and reminded us all of their true nature.

I arrived there by pure chance, after a terrible battle against the Cardobians; an alliance of wolves, foxes, and pumas that had lasted for several months.

On that occasion, the few remaining members of our battalion were cornered at a cliff. We bravely defended ourselves against claws and teeth, but after being outnumbered, plus exhaustion and injuries, my commander and I fell into a raging river that carried us several kilometers away.

As we struggled to stay afloat, we were separated where the river split in two. I managed to cling to a log until I lost consciousness. When I woke up, I was on the bank of a peaceful stream, completely exhausted and in pain, and so disoriented that I didn't know which way to go. I wandered aimlessly for about two days until I spotted a small house. I walked toward it until I collapsed a few meters before reaching it, and that's where Coeni found me. He brought me to the porch of their small home; I suppose it must have been difficult for them to move me, as I weigh many times more than them, fortunately they are very resourceful.

They tended to my wounds right there. They couldn't bring me into their small house since, although it was quite large for a family of rabbits, I wouldn't fit, so they placed woven fibers to shield me from the daytime heat and nighttime dew.

Between Mavane and their fourteen children, they took turns lowering my fever day and night, they healed my wounds with herbs and fed me. I was truly fortunate, I didn't think there were still people like this in the world. When I woke up, Sibén, the youngest boy, shouted to Coeni: "Dad, he's awake, come quick!" Coeni came running as fast as lightning and said to me, "Don't worry, my friend, I promise you're safe here." Hearing him was very comforting for me.

I wanted to ask many things, and it seemed they wanted to ask me too, so I patiently waited until evening, when Coeni returned from his usual tasks.

Now conscious, I could observe the family dynamic. While Coeni taught his three eldest sons how to work the land and the love with which to plow the soil for the new harvest, Mavane educated the rest in reading and writing; hearing the laughter of the little ones, seeing the way they treated each other with love and care, was something new to me, I wanted to be like that and be part of such a family. Where I come from life is not so kind and much faster than in that beautiful place.

I also saw some curious villagers approaching to see me. Perhaps in their lives, they had never seen someone like me, since all Mindabians were relatively small compared to me and somewhat shy, I must say.

After a dinner full of laughter and pleasant conversations, Coeni and I were finally alone to talk. So, I started the conversation by saying: "My name is Raoban, I'm an elk from the eastern mountains of Sícarion, of warrior blood, husband, father, and a soldier assigned to stop the Cardobians and their advance." I took a deep breath and continued speaking: "I assure you that you will be rewarded." But Coeni interrupted me: "We don't want any kind of reward, neither I, nor my wife, nor my family," and he added, "A thank you is enough."

Although Coeni had not been rude at any moment, he spoke with great authority. I felt ashamed because I realized that indeed, I had not thanked them at any moment for what they had done for me.

The little rabbit continued: "We are very glad to see you better than when you arrived, Raoban. My name is Coeni and my wife is named Mavane." I was struck that he spoke in the plural, as if he included his family every time he did so. "Our duty as part of this world is to share, and we are glad to have the strength and tools to help you," said Coeni. As he spoke, Mavane approached and commented, "Our home is your home." What an expression! I was moved by the implications it carried, as it was something I had never heard before, and upon reflecting on it, I realized how deep its meaning was.

Mavane added, "Please, tell us: Where do you come from? What happened to you? How did you end up here in this way? Tell us about yourself, please." And so I did."