Revelations

Until recently, there had never been a reported attack by Cardobians in the area, not even a sighting. However, after the confrontation with that wolf that Coeni and I had, the situation took a drastic turn.

The following nights, on Tenami's recommendation, we took turns keeping watch. We soon realized that the frequency and intensity of enemy incursions were increasing. Although we managed to avoid at least six attacks in the next three weeks, the situation was progressively worsening, and it was only a matter of time before a tragedy occurred.

I felt that my stay in that place had been prolonged too much. Originally, I planned to follow my father south, where he sought allies according to the information provided by the boar. However, I knew that if I left at that moment, it might be inevitable that the Cardobians would destroy the place. Although my wounds were almost imperceptible and my strength had returned, there were two reasons why I couldn't leave: gratitude and friendship.

Coeni had become a great friend to me, and the days I spent in Mindabal helped me understand life in a new and deep way.

Every act of kindness or consideration towards others seemed worthy of attention to me. When I wasn't on guard duty, I helped Coeni with tasks, whether it was taking care of the new plantings or playing with the little rabbits, who enjoyed jumping on my antlers to gain height when falling onto the grass.

Tenami and I tried to convince the Mindabians to evacuate the place before something serious happened, but our warnings went unheard. Although we spoke with Coeni and Mavane hoping for a different response, Mavane simply replied, "We have nowhere else to go, and we don't want to either. We are confident that these tough times will pass soon," while Coeni remained silent.

We knew that if Coeni spoke to the village, the response might be different, as he was the most respected and beloved Mindabian by all. Perhaps he could persuade them to travel northwest, towards the Valley of Butterflies, where my people, my wife, and my daughter were. It was a place difficult to access but easy to defend, a natural refuge.

The main concern arose from the conversation Tenami had with me and Coeni after hunting down the fugitive wolf. At that moment, she asked us to be alone: "There is something you must know, and it is important that you listen carefully," she said.

"By living outdoors as I have for so long, you learn some things about taking care of yourself and avoiding conflicts you can't win. When I first saw Raobeon, my first instinct was to measure my strength against that imposing creature, to see how strong it was in battle. But upon closer inspection, I thought, 'You're crazy, Tenami. This moose is not someone you can play with'. The scars it showed were earned in multiple fights. Its large, strong body, unlike anything I had seen before, denoted its power and ability, along with that look that seems to see everything and manages to intimidate anyone just by facing it."

Listening to her, a smile of pride spread across my face, to the point where I let out a soft laugh. Tenami, seeing me, responded, "That's why I said when I met you that I thought you would be bigger. Although you are a formidable guardian, compared to your father, one could say you still have much to learn. It's not your fault; I don't think there's any moose I can compare to Raobeon. That's why hearing him say this was more shocking."

For a moment, Tenami thought about her next words, until Coeni asked, "What did Raoban's father tell you?"

Looking up, she continued narrating, "Raobeon is convinced that the Cardobian army will enter this region to invade the continent. Their numbers have increased; there are not only wolves, pumas, and foxes anymore, but also lynxes and..." She paused for a moment to catch her breath and continue, "And a large number of deer."

"That's... it can't be," I replied. "The deer have been allies of our people for a long time. Even the strength of the central army is largely composed of them." But she silenced me with a statement: "It's your father who said it," to which I couldn't respond.

Coeni, very calmly, intervened to ask, "How does he know?" To which the boar replied, "Raobeon doesn't travel alone; he is accompanied by a fox. And before you dismiss what I've said, know that I have verified it myself. It can speak and reason like us. I don't know how or why, but it is so."

Tenami met my father while searching for me, hoping to find me downstream. Although they had little time to spend together, they managed to create certain bonds of friendship. The boar with the braid recounts that although my father was worried about my whereabouts, the war and the newly discovered deserter fox were matters he could not ignore. If he didn't find me in a few more days, he would have to travel south, to the forests of the singing trees, to seek an alliance with the inhabitants of that place.

Tenami promised to search for me and talk to me about all of the above.

All this information, though delicate and important, did not resolve our doubts; on the contrary, thanks to what Tenami narrated, we now had so many questions in our heads that it was overwhelming to try to answer them. Furthermore, no Mindabian would believe this story, especially with the existence of a fox affirming such assertions.

To make matters worse, the pair of mice who seemed inseparable not only listened to the conversation but made sure the whole village knew what had been said.

However, Coeni showed a different attitude. It seemed that nothing that had been revealed surprised him. He remained pensive and silent for several days; I even heard Mavane talk to him on more than one occasion about his thoughts or emotions, while my friend told him that there was something on his mind that was not right but was not a cause for concern.

Over time, Coeni returned to normal. I heard his laughter and conversations with everyone again, despite the difficult situation prevailing in Mindabal.

During that time, I thought that the confrontation with the earth-colored wolf had been a trauma for my friend. After all, I don't think he had been through something like that before, and his change in attitude was understandable. However, I was mistaken. There was something else troubling Coeni.

Around the fourth week after Tenami's arrival, while Mavane and her little ones were getting ready to rest, a group of Cardobians managed to conceal their presence among bushes and grasses, taking advantage of the darkness of the night.

While Tenami and Coeni were talking with some locals, the crows on watch began to caw in the distance: "Carnivores, Tenami, carnivores!"