Chapter one Present day

present day
Chapter one
A girl was sitting at her desk listening to her history teacher speak patiently waiting for the bell to go "That's how the Leaning Tower of Pisa got its name it never stood upright with the unstable ground it formed a leaning position and they continued to build it while it was leaning said the teacher with enthusiasm. Many students sat with broad expressions waiting for the day to end it's a shame that some people don't take classes like this seriously I felt bad for the teacher he was only doing his job they could at least pretend to be interested but their sharp faces think otherwise. "Well they're not getting A+ that's for sure" I mumbled quietly Sarah giggled beside me "Greater words have never been spoken". The ringing of the bell met my ears as everyone collected their things and dashed for the door. As the history teacher tried to say his last few words "And don't forget the structure is made up of marble and the bell hasn't been rung for centuries yelled the teacher but no one was listening everyone was out and gone. Sarah and I stayed behind waiting for the stampede to clear "Why is it always history said Sarah "Well people just don't like being smart I sarcastically remarked as we walked to our lookers. Me and Sarah have been friends for years since I moved here. I was born in Brazil in Rio de Janeiro I spent my childhood years there it was when I turned eight when my parents decided to move to New York it was hard leaving but soon I got used to my new life. We headed down the corridor "So what are you doing for the holidays anything fun Sarah said eagerly "Oh you know manly family stuff as well as trying to get a full-timer at the zoo I explained back. School holidays were a day away and everyone already had fun plans "Aren't you going to Brazil for the holidays Sarah wondered "No that's next year I explained every second year me and my parents fly to Brazil to see my family I love going to brazil because it makes me feel less like an outsider our tan skin and brown eyes stand out in the crowd it makes me feel at home but that was last year this year we will properly do something in New York. What about you I said "Well I am going to Jamaica with my mom it going to be so much fun Sarah excitedly told me "You should come she said to me "Thank you for the offer I smiled warmly but I am busy nowadays "with the internship at the zoo again Noah bluntly said as he joined our conversation well If I want to pursue my passion for animals I've got to start somewhere I said slightly blushing. Noah was also a good friend of mine we got along well and I might not have a little crush on him "Don't tell him I said that. Are you doing anything exciting Noah "Nothing worth talking about he replied with his usual unimpressed tone "Well that's interesting said Sarah I giggled at her.

We made our way out of the building " I took out my phone to look at the time 4:30 "OH Scrap my afternoon shift starts soon I said "Sorry to cut this short but I need to go I quickly said goodbye and raced from the school premises. I ran through the streets and crowed dogging people and cars "Excuse me sorry coming through make way I spoke fast I ran for about 20 minutes until I got to the zoo I made it to the staff headquarters at put on my uniform "Ah you made it I didn't think you would be on time said Melvin he was one of the staff there we were friends he helped me when I first started working here "what's on the agenda I said

" We have two macaws that need their enclosures cleaned. Angel needs her heater installed and dinner is needed for most of the reptiles. There are a few more things that need to be done. "Well what are we waiting for I said enthusiastically. We got to work I cleaned the macaw's enclosure, and fed lions and tigers. The baboons threw banana peels at us again and a hedgehog peed on my shoe.
It was hard work but I managed. I have been working as an intern at the zoo for two years now. I love animals and want to work with them so I applied to volunteer here. The first few days I didn't get in but after a lot of pleading and persisting, I got the job. I worked mostly with reptiles and birds right now I'm installing Angel's new heater she is a 14-meter green anaconda with beautiful dark green patterns "There we go your brand new heater is installed I said happily to her as she looked at me as if she was thanking me. We have a good connection, when I come by she lifts her head in my direction and looks and stares at me it sometimes makes me wonder why. It happens with a lot of animals like Pedro the Jaguar whenever I see him he comes up to me and purrs. The staff told me that the animals like me but I feel there is something more to it.

At last, the end of the day has arrived. I unchanged my uniform and said goodbye to all the animals "Have a nice afternoon" I yelled to Melvin. he waved back as I headed home. on the way my phone rang, it was mum "Hi mum how's it going "Good honey are you on your way home?"
"Yes, I am three blocks away". "Wonderful I will be making dinner tonight could you go grab some things from the store"
"Sure what do you need?" Mum sent me a list of things I said goodbye and made a quick trip to the store.

I said to myself "What's first? flour check tomatoes check chocolate check. I paid the lady and made it to the floor of my apartment. I unlocked the door with a spear key and entered our colourful apartment. I put the groceries away cleaned out my lunch watered the plants and fed my pet scarlet macaw. I then went to my room and flopped on the bed "What a day!" I signed luckily tomorrow is only a half day. I got off my bed and sat down at my desk to do my homework. They didn't give us a lot since it was the end of the term so I didn't have to worry 20 minutes past I was listening to music when I heard the door open. "yes mum's back" I made my way out of my bedroom to greet mum. When we came here it was just a plain room with grey walls and an old wooden floor. It made me feel homesick because I came from a happy colourful environment so seeing the colourless room first time didn't feel right but my parents made it feel like home. We painted the walls in different colours and got colourful furniture and lots of plants and paintings that we like. My bedroom walls are pink and I have plants all around and it felt better afterwards. Mum was unpacking food I helped her and we shared about our days (speaking in Portuguese) "How was school" Mum said, "Great exhausting but it went well. By the way, I got an A on my science and history exam". "That's my girl Mum said" "When is Dad coming" "Soon my love said, Mum. A few minutes went by that's when we heard the door open and my dad coming through "How was work I asked Dad "Great tiring but fun" I had a good relationship with dad and mum. Dad works as a florist and Mum used to be a carnival performer but retired and is now a costume designer. Family and friends are important, and as Grandma used to say there's no greater gift.