14

Y/n sat down on her creaky bed with a hollow feeling replacing her giddy heart. As soon as Jennie left her home, an emptiness began spreading throughout her body. She thought back to the most significant moments they had together, one standing out the most to Y/n.

*Flashback*

She came home from school, very close to ripping everything around her to shreds. It was her first day of sophomore year and she had just found out that the girl she loves is dating her high school bully. And she was left to watch through her locker mirror as Taehyung pulled Jennie in for a chaste kiss.

She just wanted to go to her room and smash everything that mattered to her. Her computer, her phone, all her pictures with her dead parents--everything. She refused to believe that any of it mattered anymore.

She slammed the front door behind her before letting out a huff of frustration, shutting her eyes to a close in an attempt to alleviate some of the negative thoughts filling her brain. Her back leaned against the door for a brief moment before she stormed off towards the staircase.

"Hey, Y/n," her Uncle said to her. To which Y/n didn't reply, as she simply walked passed the man and continued her walk to the staircase.

"Dear, what are you angry about because I know that you aren't bout to take it out on me or your Aunt," her Uncle's normally fragile voice came out as a scold. And y/n let out a discontented sigh before grinding to a stop at the bottom of the staircase. Because she knew that her Aunt and Uncle were the last people that she should take her jealousy out on.

"I know," was seemingly all that she could croak out, guilt riding through her veins for being even slightest bit disrespectful to her beloved Uncle. "I'm sorry." Her gaze shifted down to her shuffling feet as she felt tears well up over her eyes.

"Hey, come here," her Uncle said, voice firm as he opened  his arms to invite his niece into a loving embrace. "What's wrong?" her Uncle wondered aloud.

"It's just... there's this girl. And now she has a boyfriend..." Y/n started off with a shaky voice before her words trailed off into sobs as she gripped her Uncle's shirt with a balled up fist.

It had never been anything that she was willing to tell anybody. And apart of her was hoping that her Uncle would already understand from the vague explanation that she had already given. Because she couldn't say anything else as her words drowned in her own tears.

"Y/n, who's this girl, dear?" her Uncle asked, his voice a soft and comforting tone.

"Jennie..." y/n answered in a disheartened whimper. And her Uncle let out a sigh. Because he had always been able to see the prolonging stares that his niece would send over to their neighbor's daughter. And he never missed how Jennie would sometimes return them when Y/n wasn't looking.

"Dear, look at me," her Uncle said, his pointer finger lifting Y/n's gaze for her. "I know I'm not your dad. I know I'm not anywhere close to giving you what you need from your dad. I know that, dear."

His soft voice trailed out into a heavy sigh. Because he hoped that his niece would just understand that she's special.

"This though, this is one of those things that any father can tell from their daughter. I know you hate this new boyfriend of Jennie's. I know, dear. You and Jennie are going to find each other. I just know it. But with great power, comes great responsibility. Just wait your turn-- Jennie is going to find you, dear."

*Flashback Over*

Y/n teared up at the find memory of the interaction with her Uncle. It was the first time she had ever told anyone about her sexual orientation.

Her eyes glossed over at the fact that her Uncle thought he wasn't anywhere close to a father figure. When really, he was all she ever needed. She was never able to tell him how much she loved him--how much of a father he was for her.

But now, her Uncle is gone. She took a moment to close her eyes and thank him for everything--the things that she couldn't even begin to repay him for.

Although y/n had always believed that there's a reason for everything, she didn't understand why they had to take her Uncle.