TWO. mission to mars

     CHARLIE CLOSED the door of her house and tugged on the loose thread on her stockings as she threw her dingy penny board that Marcus had gotten her for her birthday one year onto the ground as she began to make her way down the road and toward...

CHARLIE CLOSED the door of her house and tugged on the loose thread on her stockings as she threw her dingy penny board that Marcus had gotten her for her birthday one year onto the ground as she began to make her way down the road and towards his house.

She finally and fairly quickly approached the Baker household and knocked on the front door. It quickly opened and Marcus stood on the other side stood Marcus, looking down at the girl before him.

"I'll be up in a minute." He told her.

Charlie nodded and gently brushed past him to make her way upstairs. She kept to herself, not thinking of much as she made her way down the hall with the banged-up penny board in hand.

As she passed Max's room, she noticed the door had been left wide open, but the girl wasn't inside. Instead, sat the new girl, the Baker's next-door neighbor, Ginny Miller.

Charlie stepped inside the room, nothing new to the girl other than the pictures that Max had scattered around to hang up whenever she felt like it.

Ginny looked up from the laptop and over at Charlie, she had dark, almost jet-black hair that fell nicely over her back. Her stockings were close to ripping at the seams and tied all together by her knee-high black boots and a black two-piece outfit that she was sure she paired together on her own.

She was the exact opposite of Max. At least, style-wise. Max had shown up to school wearing a bright pink jacket that made her stand out. You had no choice but to look at the girl if she passed you in the halls.

Charlie gave Ginny a soft smile. "You must be Ginny."

"Did I make it obvious?" She asked jokingly and hoped that Charlie knew that. But she let her shoulders drop when Charlie chuckled, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Everyone seems to be... intrigued by you, new girl." Charlie said. "I live down the street. I'm Charlie."

Ginny nodded. Maxine mentioned her name in a quick conversation that she was surprised she caught with how fast Max spoke. Ginny believed that Max had mentioned that Charlie had been her friend since kindergarten or something along those lines and that she was "freakishly obsessed" with space.