18. Kael's intrusion

Kael

As I stood there, reminiscing about my mother Serina, Queen Elara's presence brought forth a wave of bittersweet memories, tinged with both warmth and sorrow. Queen Elara had been a dear friend to my mother, Serina, and their bond had endured even amidst the tensions between our kingdoms.

After my mother's disappearance, a ten-month-old Adrian was left behind along with me. In the midst of my own grief and confusion, it was Queen Elara who stepped in to fill the void, raising Adrian as her own until he turned five.

Those early years, spent under Queen Elara's care, had been a source of comfort and stability for Adrian, even as the shadow of his mother's absence loomed large over our lives. 

It was a debt of gratitude I could never fully repay, and I felt a twinge of guilt knowing that despite her kindness, Adrian had ultimately been returned to the Shadowlands.

The dynamic between Queen Elara and my father, King Oberon, has always been fraught with tension and animosity. Their disdain for each other runs deep, rooted in years of rivalry and conflict between our kingdoms. Yet, despite the bitterness that exists between them, Queen Elara has never let her personal feelings interfere with her treatment of me and Adrian.

In her eyes, we are not just pawns in the game of politics; we are two young men who deserve love, care, and guidance. 

Her maternal instincts transcend the boundaries of politics, and she has always treated me and Adrian with kindness and compassion. Despite the complexities of our relationship and the lingering animosity between our families, Her nurturing nature has provided us with a sense of stability and belonging in a tumultuous world. 

Indeed, It is a complex dynamic, forged out of necessity and fueled by her innate nurturing nature.

"Kael, why don't you join us for breakfast?" Queen Elara's voice was warm and inviting.

I glanced over at Aria. "I need to go back and discuss a few security measures with Father," I replied, attempting to deflect the invitation.

"Your father, of course," she replied with a sigh, her tone tinged with a hint of frustration.

As I bid farewell to Queen Elara and Aria, my mind was consumed with the urgency of my purpose here. I needed to confront Prince Andrews about the events of last night. Stepping out of the tranquil royal garden, I spotted Prince Andrews busying himself with his luggage, preparing for departure.

Approaching him, I cleared my throat to announce my presence. "Prince Andrews," I called out, my voice firm and determined.

He turned to face me, a flicker of surprise crossing his features before settling into a composed expression. "Prince Kael," he greeted, his tone respectful but guarded.

"I need to speak with you," I stated bluntly, wasting no time in getting to the heart of the matter. "It's about last night," I began, my words measured as I broached the delicate subject. "I need to know where you were and what you were doing when the darkness engulfed the ceremony."

His admission about being with Aria sent a jolt of suspicion through me, but what struck me even more was the inconsistency in his explanation. His voice faltered as he confessed, hinting at a reluctance to divulge the full truth.

"I see," I replied, my tone carefully neutral despite the rising tide of suspicion within me. "So, you were with Princess Aria, yet you were not present when the darkness descended upon the ceremony?"

Prince Andrews nodded, his gaze flickering nervously as he struggled to maintain eye contact. "Yes, that's correct," he confirmed, his voice strained with the effort of maintaining his facade.His response only served to heighten my suspicion. "And why is that?" I pressed, my tone firm as I sought to unravel the inconsistencies in his story.