Chapter 5:

I heard the doorknob twisting and jumped up. I stared at the door, but it never opened. I walked to the door and looked under it, there was no one there. I opened the door and felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. The pain caused me to fall to my knees, I looked down and there was a knife shoved into my stomach. I looked up and there was a man with a mask and all I could see were his eyes. I fell to the ground laying in my own pool of blood. "Was this really the end?" Was the question I asked myself. I let my eyes close as I accepted the fact I was going to die. I opened my eyes once more and I was back on the couch. I looked down and there was no knife. I looked over toward the door and it was closed and there was no pool of blood. I laid there slowly breathing. This dream had felt more real than any of the other ones. I looked over at the door once more then decided I would just try to sleep in my room. I got up and made sure the files were still where I left them and then walked out of the room. I closed the door, locking it behind me and walked down the hallway. I looked at Daren's room as I walked past it and then went into my room. I made sure the curtains to my window were shut, causing the room to be pitch black. I sat on the end of the bed for a few minutes before I laid back onto the bed. I laid there staring at the roof, thinking of that guy's eyes. It had felt so real I could hear his breathing and could feel his presence. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep but I was worried about what I would dream of this time. The dreams were only getting worse and they were becoming more vivid. I couldn't even think of the last time I was able to sleep without having a nightmare, they had gotten worse after she had died. Now knowing she had nightmares I wondered if there was more behind them or if it was really all in my head.

   After some time I ended up just getting up and was now standing outside of Daren's room. I felt like I had to ask him something but could not remember what it was. I stood outside the door, I had not knocked yet but the door opened. "You ok?" Asked Daren from the other side of the door. He opened the door fully revealing his half naked body and I looked down at him. "Hey, my eyes are up here perv." He said in a joking manner. "My bad, I came to ask you something but I can't remember what." I said and went to turn around. "Come on in." He said stopping me in my tracks and I turned back toward him and walked in. "Can't sleep?" He asked as he sat on his bed. "No." I said as I sat down next to him. "Any reason in particular?" Be asked and I just looked at him in silence. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but talking about it may help." He said and moved a little closer to me. I took a deep breath and laid back onto his bed staring at the ceiling. "I've had these nightmares since I can remember but they have gotten worse since she died. They have been getting more intense and feel more real." I say while looking away from him. I didn't know why I felt comfortable telling him this but I allowed myself to say it. He laid next to me and just grabbed my hand. "I'm sorry you must deal with that, it sounds like it must suck. Do you dream of anything in particular or is it just random things?" He asked and I turned my head toward him. "It depends sometimes I dream about that night she died and everything that happened and other times it all depends on what is happening at the moment." I say then look back up. "Has everything we have been doing making the nightmares worse?" He asked in a worried tone. "Don't worry about it, I want to help with all this." I say then turn toward him. He turned toward me and we laid there looking at each other. I could tell he was worried but it could not be helped. I felt comfortable with him at this moment and let my guard down. I eventually fell asleep, and we just laid there as we slept. After a few hours went by and the sun was shining into the room, I eventually woke up and Daren was just staring at me. "What are you staring at?" I asked him in a tired voice. "I like what I see." He says and I roll my eyes and turn away from him. He then gets off the bed and walks around the bed how I could see him and bends down in front of me. "Good morning." He says. "Good morning." I say back to him in a less cheerful tone. He stands back up and offers me a hand to help me up. I grab his hand and he helps me get into a sitting position at the end of his bed. "I'm going on o go see if the background check has come in yet." He says and then starts to walk out. "Wait I want to check to." I say and get off the bed and follow behind him. We walked to the door and laying on the coffee table was a large orange envelope. He sits on the couch and starts to open the file. I sit next to him and watch as he pulls the papers out and lays the envelope down. He looked at the papers than handed them to me to read.