19 ┃ 𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

━ ⭒─⭑━

The first rays of dawn peeked through the curtains, casting a soft glow across your room. Despite the previous day's events, sleep had managed to steal you away for a few precious hours.

Classes had been cancelled for the top hero class and yourself; a decision made to allow the students time to process the close-call, something that left a bitter taste in your mouth. Unlike the rest of Class 1-A, who were given a much-needed day off to recover from the attack, you felt strangely restless.

You weren't one to sit idly by, to let fear dictate your actions. School was your cover, your carefully crafted facade, and a single missed day felt like a chink in your armor. So, here you were, lacing up your shoes, a backpack slung over your shoulder.

Reaching for your shoes, you were about to slip them on when a soft voice called out from behind you. "Y/N?"

Glancing back, you saw your mother standing in the kitchen doorway, her eyes red-rimmed and puffy. Sleep deprivation etched dark bags under her eyes, the strands of silver in her hair glinting amongst her frazzled hair.

"Yes?" you responded, your voice carefully neutral.

"Are you sure you want to go to school today?" Mei asked, her voice barely a whisper. "You could stay home, rest. I could make your favorite snacks; we could watch your favorite show..." her voice trailed off, then a small, sad smile tugged at her lips, "...Ugly Americans?"

You forced down a twitch in your eyebrow, clenching your fists to suppress the irritation that always flared at her smothering nature. In a flat, controlled tone, you replied, "I'm fine. Recovery Girl patched everyone up, remember? I'll be back after school."

Your response didn't seem to quell her anxieties. In a swift movement that surprised you, she rushed towards you. Her hands, trembling slightly, cupped your face. The gentle touch felt out of place, a stark contrast to her usual nervous energy.

"My baby," she murmured, her voice thick with unshed tears. She pressed a flurry of small, hurried kisses all over your face, muttering the same phrase over and over again. "My baby. My baby. My baby. My baby. My baby. My baby...."

It was suffocating, this desperate clinginess that had always been a part of her.

With a sigh, you knew this conversation was far from over. Gently, but firmly, you pushed her hands away, creating some much-needed space.

Mei was a frantic mess, her worries amplified a hundredfold since the villain attack. You remembered how she'd burst into tears the moment you walked through the door the other day, clinging to you for hours as if afraid you might disappear again.

Dealing with the aftermath of the attack paled in comparison to handling your mother's smothering affection. Even now, you could recall the relieved shock on everyone's faces at All Might's arrival. How the Symbol of Peace managed to defeat the hulking monstrosity known as 'Nomu' before U.A. reinforcements arrived. The anger on Shigaraki's face as he had no choice but to retreat.

Lost in the whirlwind of recent events, your mother's voice, laced with renewed worry—and a bit of hope—cut through your thoughts. "Y/N, are you absolutely sure you don't want to stay home? We can—"

"Mother, please," you interjected curtly, trying to mask your frustration. The stern tone seemed to have the desired effect. Her shoulders slumped slightly, and a frown etched itself onto her once-worried face.

"Of course, sweetie," she mumbled, her gaze drifting off sadly to the side. "See you later, then. Have a good day at school." With a defeated sigh, she shuffled towards the kitchen. You watch her go, noting the slump of her shoulders—a visual testament to her worries.