seven

I head into the gym. Law is playing basketball with Spider, Malakai, and Ant.

"Dickhead!" I shout.

The four of them stop and stare at me.

I point at my brother. "I'm talking to you."

"What did I do?" Law asks.

"I just got called down to Woodsy's office," I tell him.

"And?" Law asks.

"You told her that I almost ran you over in the parking lot this morning and I was driving recklessly," I state.

"Yeah," Law says.

"Why?" I shout.

Law shrugs.

"Is this because I ate the last pop tart this morning?" I ask.

"I wrote my name on it," Law tells me.

I laugh. "You got me in trouble because I ate the last pop tart."

"Are you two done arguing?" Spider asks.

"Not even close," I tell him. I pull our dad's car keys from my pocket. "Have fun walking home."

"Sage!" Law shouts.

I laugh as I walk out of the gym.

I sit in a booth at Harry's with Quinni and Amerie. Darren is working but takes a break to join us. Amerie is telling them about our conversation with Dusty.

"I shouldn't have said anything," Amerie insists.

"Why? It's funny," Darren says.

"What if it backfires and he tells Harper all of his secrets and it just makes them closer?" I ask. "I think Amerie would kill me. Even if she did help."

"Dusty's darkest secret probably involves him jerking off to the time Justin Trudeau ate an apple on live TV," Darren offers.

"Don't say jerking off," Amerie tells them.

"You still doing your chastity vow?" Quinni asks.

"You mean you haven't been watching Malakai's Instagram stories?" Darren asks. They hold their phone up. "That boy is thirst trapping so hard, he might drown."

Amerie pushes the phone away from her. "Get that shit away from me."

Darren forces the phone into Amerie's hand. "The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else."

"Darren, shouldn't you be working?" Quinni asks.

"Okay, Dad," Darren remarks. They stand up to get back to work. "I'm proud of you! You're doing amazing!"

"More onion rings, yeah?" Amerie tells them.

"Oh and a milkshake," I tell them. "Strawberry, please."

Amerie and I are sitting in science class. She is staring at Malakai's insta story on her phone

"Are you still thinking about boys?" I ask.

"No," Amerie insists. I make a face. "Maybe."

"It seems like it's a particular boy," I offer.

I feel someone tap my shoulder. I turn around and the girl sitting behind me hands me a note. Harper is behind the girl watching me. I open it and Amerie reads it cover my shoulder. Harper wants to talk. Amerie grabs the note from me and shoves it into her mouth while she stares at Harper.

"You crazy bitch." I laugh.

Amerie spits the note into her hand.

"I really thought you were gonna eat it," I confess. "I dig the commitment."