Criminals Think Alike

Javi and his buddy were motorcycle riding criminals that 20 squad was chasing "JAV CAN YOU DISTRACT THEM?" Javi's buddy Nick called. Javi hopped off his bike, parking it and doing a dance he'd seen on tiktok to hopefully distract the squad car that was following them. Javi's helmet confidence was definitely showing.

Chris and Hondo were riding in a police cruiser, chasing the criminals. Chris saw one of them get off of his bike. he fit the description of Javier Erwin. He was doing a dance that had been trending on tiktok for the past 3 months. Honestly, he was killing it, but she'd never admit that.

His dance worked, Chris Alonso and Daniel Harrelson, 2 LAPD S.W.A.T. officers were definitely distracted. "Chris, are you seeing this dancing bafoon?" Hondo asked, laughing lightly. Chris nodded, definitely caught off guard. She stepped out of the squad car.

"Alright, show me your hands, now!"

He put his hands up but kept dancing, his music drowning out any fear of being shot or arrested. The song ended, and the next one played. "MOVE YO BODY (sped up) by Braynsanon. He started dancing again. Chris's jaw dropped subtly, partially out of annoyance. Hondo started to burst out into laughter. He picked up his radio. "20 David, suspect is dancing." He said, starting to laugh again.

His next song played. "Tell Ur Girlfriend" By Lay Bankz. He kept up his dancing act and Chris stood there, her gun drawn. "What the hell is he doing?" She thought. His playlist kept going. "FUNKED UP" by xxanteria. How did this guy have the energy to keep going? Chris rolled her eyes slightly. Honestly, he was somewhat entertaining, but she had other things to do.

"I said hands up! The hell are you doing?!"

Chris lowered her weapon and pulled on her radio. "All units, suspect is dancing. I repeat suspect is dancing. Over."

Hondo let out a low whistle. He was watching it all on the dash cam. This guy was definitely a character. Not even a gun pointed at him would stop his dance moves.
Chris had to admit it. This guy was really good at dancing. Hondo couldn't stop laughing. He couldn't breathe anymore. He was red in the face and gasping for air. Chris kept watching the dance, a tiny little smile forming on her lips. This guy had to have some training to move like this. There is no way this kind of skill just comes from dancing alone.

After about 30 minutes of his dancing Shenanigans, Nick had gotten away. he slowly dropped to the ground, putting his hands behind his head. Chris was surprised but walked over to make the arrest. "What the hell was that?" She asked, still somewhat amused. He didn't respond and didn't resist arrest.

Chris loaded him into the back of the squad car and took his helnet off. He wasn't even armed? What kind of criminal was this guy? he had a septum piercing and snakebite piercings as well. There was a tattoo on his neck that read: "Adagio" and an octopus on the back of his right hand. Now that he was closer to her, she was able to see his tattoos better.

"Adagio...?" she said the word softly, almost like a whisper, but she still felt it loud enough to shake off her confusion about the entire person who had just danced like they would have been perfect for an entire music video. It was like he just pulled off the best performance of his life and then gave her a glimpse of the man behind the mask.

"What does it mean..." she said curiously, unsure of what answer she would get. he turned to her as she asked the question. "To play in slow tempo, or to be at ease." He replied, his voice just between slow and raspy, a slight French accent bleeding into a few words.
Chris's breath caught in her throat. It was like he somehow just made the meaning of his tattoo come alive.

"And the octopus?"

"Illusion and adaption." He said. He leaned back into the cushioning of the carseat, trying to get somewhat comfortable. She took off his handcuffs, not seeing him as much of a threat. There was a tattoo on his forearm, as well. It read: "Rêve" a French term.

Chris saw another tattoo on his arm. Wait, that was French? She didn't really speak French at all, but she recognized that word. Wait... Rêve? Dream... that's what it meant. God. Was this for real?

"And the French one on your arm? What does that one mean?" She asked, curious if he knew the meaning. "Dream." he said, pausing. "But since you knew it was French, you probably already knew that." he added. Chris couldn't help but laugh a little bit at that. Okay, he was definitely snarky, too. She had to remember to stay in cop mode.

"Yeah, I knew it was French, and I knew it meant dream. What was the point in getting it written in French?"

"My mom was french." he said, knowing she had probably seen the article about what happened to his mom in his background check.
Chris was starting to piece it all together. His last name was Erwin, and his mother was French. So his father must have been American or Mexican. His tattoos and overall look told her he wasn't your typical guy either. She had read the article and knew his mother was killed by his father. But she wasn't supposed to have any empathy for him. He was still a criminal damn it.

"Is Javi your real first name?" she said and it was almost not a real question, but more a statement of confirmation. She had checked his background check already, but it was just a way for them to keep talking. She wanted to know more about him. This guy had already got her interested. He shook his head. "it was my brother's name. It means "bright." My legal name is Gustav Jr. Erwin."

Chris was surprised by that. This guy wasn't called Javi by birth? But he had a brother named Javi? And this guy's legal name was Gustav Jr? This guy was just full of surprises.

"Really. Okay, but Javi fits you much better than Gustav. How come there was a Jr. in your name?"
"My dad was Gustav Erwin." he said quietly. "And you just decided to stick with Javi?" Chris questioned. He nodded, handing her his wallet with his ID. "Or Ricardo, my middle name." he said softly.

"So why did you take your brother's name?" She asked. "My twin brother. His name was Javier. After he died, I kind of 'took his place'.

Chris's heart stopped for a second. This guy had a twin brother who died? Of course he had... she had to remember the article she read. This guy had been through hell. Wait... wait... she was starting to feel bad for him. No... no, no, no... she wasn't gonna fall for this. He would probably use her empathy for him against her if given the chance. Her heart was telling her this guy needed some sympathy, but her brain was saying to resist.

Hondo and Chris were both in the front seat now. Hondo let Maverick pick the music since he didn't resist being put in the car. He picked "BAD!" by XXXTENTACION. Hondo thought his music taste was pretty good, but he was still a criminal, so that didn't matter.