8.2.|| Failing Kingdom

During the day, Kat had many things to focus on, the army only one small piece of it. She glanced at the books strewn across her table, Leila's words about the state of the kingdom ringing in her ears. She'd always loved reading, even when she was a poor, starving peasant girl in Iride. It brought her solace, and it could bring a bit of joy to everyone else.

"We should open more schools," she said.

Leila frowned. "Schools?"

"Yes. You mentioned that more than half the people of Endir can't read. That's something I want to change. Proper education is the cornerstone for a better life."

"Oh. Yes, maybe."

Leila's reluctance regarding this felt a bit odd given that it was such an obvious necessity, so Kat pressed on. "Don't you think it's a good idea?"

Leila heaved a sigh. "Don't get me wrong, Kat. It is a good idea, but education is for times of peace and abundance, not the brink of war."

"That's not true! During wartime, the people should have something positive to distract them, and books can often provide such an escape."

"Educated people are harder to control."

Kat narrowed her eyes. "I'm not looking to control my people, Leila."

She groaned as if Kat was being unreasonable. "That's not what I meant. What I'm trying to say is that you need their support for this, and you wouldn't be able to have it if they could question your every decision."

That was not how Kat wanted to rule. She didn't want to be a tyrant or someone who would profit off the ignorance of her people to manipulate them. But then again, she had met no resistance so far, so maybe it was the lack of opposition talking.

"We can always make a plan to open schools once our people are fed," Leila said.

"Yes, of course." Kat nodded in agreement, but she was already making plans for the future. She also made a tiny mental note regarding what could and could not be discussed with Leila. Apparently dreams, imagination and comfort were not among acceptable topics.

Why did she want a war so badly? Come to think of it, so did Keith. So did Kat from time to time, especially when the pain inside her was at its highest. But there were certain moments, like right then, when she knew there was more to her than a bloodthirsty ruler.

In those moments, she wished she could remember everything about her past, not just random, clinical information. She wished for the moments of joy, the laughter, the disappointment, even the pain. Because those were all part of who she was, what made her her.

The rest of the time, she was grateful that she had nothing to linger on and she could focus on her current tasks. And those days were more numerous than the others.

It was how she met the local lords and forced them to contribute to the war effort with both men and resources. How she put harsh punishments in place for deserters or those who stole resources. How she handled the reports she received regarding the state of the kingdom.

In many ways, Leila was right. It was easier to handle every aspect of ruling if she had no opposition. Even if she hadn't even come close to leading anything before, she instinctively knew what to do, as if it was all in her blood. Maybe it was, seeing her claim to the throne and Lucille's help.

With every passing day, the army became more organized. The resources were better spread out. Everyone in the palace and outside it knew what to do. However, winter was coming and her people were on the brink of starvation. And all Kat had was ice.