9.1.|| The King and the General

Cage was sure he wouldn't get away easily during his dinner with General Harkiss. For the first time, he regretted that he couldn't wear the crown, but he'd decided that he would no longer do that before the coronation. Instead, he decided it was about time to wear some clothes befitting his title. Even he was aware that it would be inappropriate to show up at the General's house wearing the uniform of the Navy Admiral, especially since that title no longer belonged to him.

After studying the court archives, he had found that Fherras had hesitated to name a new Admiral after Cage's disappearance, keeping the interim title for himself. When he'd shown up again, it should have been his, but the fact that he was king meant he would have to name someone else soon.

Given the short notice, the palace tailors were unable to come up with anything complicated, so his attire was mostly simple with a black tunic with silver buttons, trousers and boots. What had changed the most were the fabrics.

As the sun set, he headed out of the Grand Palace and towards General Harkiss' manor, two of his personal guards in tow. He saw no reason to bring more or turn his presence into a state affair.

The manor itself was a spectacle of lights. Carriages lined the driveway and servants milled about trying to maintain a semblance of order. Cage made his way towards the entrance, doing his best to keep a straight face and not groan. He couldn't say he was surprised, but he was hoping for an intimate dinner to discuss the status of the army and the general's support.

As it was, he had to pass through a mass of people who halted at the sight of him and forced hurried curtsies and bows. His two guards stayed close at his side as he made his way inside the reception hall.

It took General Harkiss a full three minutes to show his face. He was a tall and broad man with graying black hair and weathered skin. His dark eyes settled on Cage and he could read the shrewdness in them even as he launched forward with a grin.

"Your Majesty! What an honor to have you in my humble home."

Humble, my ass. His manor reeked of undeserved privilege. But he kept his civil smile. "So nice of you to have me, General."

"Come, come. The others have already settled around the table."

Cage was ten minutes early specifically because he was sure that being on time would make him late. The General might have extended the invite, but that didn't mean he wouldn't try to state his superiority and underline the king's inadequacy by any means possible. It was a game Cage was fortunately very versed in.

"Sorry to keep you and your company waiting," he said smoothly. "Urgent matters unfortunately held my attention." He nodded to his guards to follow.

"Is this the entirety of your personal guard, your Majesty?" the General asked with feigned surprise.

"Believe me, Dalton and Rip are more than enough. Besides, I am in your home, General, and your prowess in battle is well known." The man frowned at the well placed compliment, so Cage decided to take things even further and send a message. "So unless you will be the one attacking me, I believe I couldn't be safer."

Harkiss let out a derisive laugh. "Of course no one will be attacking you, your Majesty. Your safety is ensured in my home."

Cage bowed his head, the easy smile still on his face and continued to the dining room. In regular fashion, the guests were seated at a long table. Since he was the guest of honor, he was to be seated in the middle of the table, across from the host. As he walked to his seat, Cage took note of those in attendance. He wasn't surprised that he was surrounded by all the high ranking officers in the army and navy. The only foreign presence there was Madeline who was seated next to her father. She was the only woman there, her own mother absent.