00 - A Playdateof Fates

INT. RINA'S LIVING ROOM - DAY

The room buzzes with the laughter and chatter of two elderly women. HARUMI CASTILLO, early 60s, elegant and composed, welcomes DOLORES LEE, late 50s but youthful, sporting a mischievous grin and a leather jacket that screams 'retired but not expired gangster.'

 DOLORES LEE
(whispering conspiratorially)
Mark my words, this playdate will be legendary.

HARUMI CASTILLO
(with a soft chuckle)
Let's hope they get along.

Young MILO, stoic and with an air of nonchalance, still in his martial arts gi uniform enters beside his grandmother. His eyes widen as he spots RINA, a shy girl hiding behind her grandmother's skirt. His cheeks turn a soft pink.

DOLORES LEE
(speaking softly to the shy little girl)
My aren't you such a beautiful little Angel. What's your name? 

RINA CASTILLO
(slowly emerging from hiding, says with a  sweet voice)
My name is Rina Castillo, daughter of Emiko Sato-Castillo and Mateo Castillo. I am 4 years old and I go to Little Ivy Learning Academy, it's nice to meet you. 
(She bows holding her skirt up)  

DOLORES LEE
My name is Dolores Lee and I am your grandmother's dearest friend. 
(Elbows Milo smiling) 
Your turn squirt. 

MILO LEE
(Blushing from ear to ear, doesn't look Rina in the eyes) 
The name's Milo.
(He fidgets his belt.)

DOLORES LEE
(leaning down, whispering fiercely)
Play nice, or it's double martial arts sessions with your dad when we get home.

Milo gulps, nodding solemnly before stepping forward. He holds out his hand to Rina, masking his reluctance with a cool facade.

MILO
(softly, to Rina)
We can play whatever you want.

Rina brightens up, welcoming Milo into her house 

CUT TO:
INT. RINA'S LIVING ROOM - LATER

Milo and Rina are dressed in a riot of colors and fabrics. Milo sports a feathered boa and a sparkling tiara, his face painted with bright, clumsy strokes. Rina, in a similarly extravagant getup, serves tea to a stuffed bear. The grandmothers watch, laughing heartily.

DOLORES LEE
(takes multiple photos)
Oh, this is one for the history books!

HARUMI CASTILLO
(with a gleeful smile that of a grandmother finding the moment too precious to ignore)
Big smiles sweetie! 

The grandmothers burst out laughing, unable to contain their amusement at their grandchildren's funny faces. Rina smiles, forming a peace sign with her hand. Milo's face crumples; he tears off the dress and tiara, his pride wounded.

MILO
(angrily)
I don't want to play this anymore! This is stupid!

Rina's smile fades; tears well up. The room's mood shifts. The grandmothers exchange worried glances.

DOLORES LEE
(smacking Milo lightly on the back of his head with a small paper fan)
What did I say about playing nice?

Dolores then kneels beside Rina, cooing and comforting her. Harumi on the other hand, tended to the simmering Milo. Milo, anger evident on his face, glances up to see a crying Rina, her small nose all red from tears.

RINA
(sniffling)
Do you hate me? Don't you want to play with me?

Milo, rubbing the back of his head, looks at the crying Rina.

MILO
I don't hate you. I just... I'm a boy and I don't like wearing dresses. But... (glances at her dress) but you look cute in it so it's fine if you wear it.

The grandmothers suppress chuckles at Milo's embarrassed admission.

RINA
(brightening up)
Then let's play wedding party instead! You can be the groom!

Milo's face turns crimson, but he nods, trying to act nonchalant.

MILO
(muttering)
Okay, only if you want to...

The grandmothers share a knowing look, their eyes twinkling.

DOLORES LEE
(to Rina's Grandmother, chuckling)
Give them a decade or two, and we might be doing this for real.

HARUMI CASTILLO
(laughing)
Oh, Dolores, by then, I suspect your dear grandson will be following my grandaughter wherever she leads him.

They watch Rina lead a red-faced smiling Milo,  up a mock wedding altar. The scene fades out on their laughter and the children's playful bickering, the room filled with warmth and a hint of destiny.