mary anne saves the day.

AVA WAS ADMIRING claudia's wall filled with butterfly origamis out of candy wrappers. she was wearing the sweatshirt claudia gave her a week ago.

the two were sitting on the bed beside each other.

claudia noticed, grinning to herself as she thought of what happened that day. she turned her attention back to the pink papers with folds, making her own origami.

everyone was doing their own thing, perhaps more designs for their kid kits.

"aves," claudia called.

"hm?" ava hummed, looking up at her friend.

"where are you actually from? before california."

"the, uh, philippines."

"what was it like there?"

"i can barely remember, but i enjoyed my time there with my cousins. i moved out of the country when i was 9, went to california with my mother, dad, and half-sister."

claudia nodded in understanding, "why'd you move to stoneybrook?"

"uhh..." ava paused for a moment, thinking how to word it. "my parents wanted me to be independent, i guess? i was like, a really socially awkward girl before all this. i spent my time with amelia's friends."

"you got through that though, which is pretty good." claudia smiled.

"uhm, yeah." ava's cheek were tinted red. she cleared her throat. "anyway... i was planning on inviting you guys to my house, finally."

"oh my god!" mary anne grinned.

"really!? i'll bring something!" stacey squealed.

"we're gonna have so much fun." stated claudia.

"wait, when?" kristy asked.

"when are we all free?"

mary anne quickly looked through the schedule, "this thursday!"

"thursday it is."

"sleepover!?" claudia suggested, smirking widely.

"maybe, if you're all down for it." ava smiled. "i'd love to finally have you guys over. i'm sure my aunt wouldn't mind."

everyone was excited for thursday. suddenly, the phone rang and stacey picked it up. "hello, baby-sitters club." she was quiet for a moment then gave mary anne the phone. "she wants to talk to you, mary anne."

mary anne hesitated but took it anyway since it's work. "hello?" it took her a few seconds to respond again, "i- i don't--"

everyone stared at mary anne.

what's going on?

"no, i-i mean, yes. i'm free" she looked over at kristy. "i think..."

kristy mouths, "what are you doing?"

mary anne proceeded to talk, "but the thing is, i belong to a club of babysitters. so i'd have to check if any of them--" she sighed, "what's your address?"