Prologue: Monologues of Four Certain Students

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji

I would like to ask you a question. Maybe this subject is a bit sudden, but it's a subject that deserves reflection, and one that would be interesting to discuss with other people.

Are all human beings truly equal?

I mean, we talk a lot about equality these days don't we? But what does that really mean? Are people truly equal?

Let's consider the world around us. We often hear that everyone should have the same chances, the same rights. It's a beautiful ideal, but is it reality? Look closely. Each of us is different, with talents, weaknesses, unique stories. Doesn't that make the idea of absolute equality a bit... Unrealistic?

Of course, in school, we're taught that everyone deserves the same respect, the same opportunities. But in practice, how does it work out? Each person faces different challenges. Some have advantages right from the start, others do not. Doesn't this naturally create inequalities?

I'm not saying that the idea of equality is bad. On the contrary, it's a noble goal. But perhaps it needs to be viewed in a different way. Rather than pretending everyone is the same, why not recognize and value our differences? After all, it's these differences that make each person unique, right?

As students, we're right in the midst of this period where these questions become important. Our choices, our paths, our ambitions... All of this is influenced by our environment, our experiences, our abilities. Maybe equality is less about making everyone identical, and more about giving everyone a chance to realize their potential, in their own way.

It's something to think about, I believe. Equality is a complex concept. And maybe true equality is about understanding and accepting this complexity, instead of oversimplifying it...

Okay, back to the present. Talking about the weather today, the sun was shining high in the sky, illuminating the city with its warm rays. Overall, it was a sunny day with no single cloud in sight... A day that would have been perfect for a walk or a picnic with friends...

But no, to me — Kiyotaka Ayanokouji, it was the start of my first high school year, so the idea of a picnic or a walk with friends, I can probably put that aside. Even though I really wanted to, too bad that wish of mine didn't come true, anyway.

So here I am, just as the cherry blossoms were starting to fall and turning into leaves, standing at a bus stop, waiting under this sun, surrounded by the usual city noises, the din of cars, people chatting... Waiting for the bus.

Yes, that bus that is supposed to take me to where I'm supposed to go, to the school I had enrolled in: The Advanced Nurturing High School, also known as ANHS, a school apparently renowned for gathering Japan's elite.

You're probably wondering how I got accepted into such an establishment. To be honest, I wonder too... I mean, ANHS is supposed to be the school where very talented students gather, and I'm just an average individual, a teenager who just has average skills.

However, with an opportunity like this in front of your eyes, they say it shouldn't be turned down, right? Anyone would be excited in my place, it's natural, right? Imagine, suddenly receiving an official letter announcing your admission to the most prestigious school in the country... You'd surely be ecstatic, right?

Anyway, back to the present, the reality is that I was accepted into this prestigious academy, and I was about to go there... Assuming that the bus decides to show up, of course.

I waited, looking at the beautiful sky, hands in pockets, at the bus stop, indifferent to the other people waiting for the bus with me.

"Hey, stranger-san, forgive me for this interruption, but... Could you spare a moment?"