Chapter eleven

When I got out of the house, Cas was waiting out front like she said she will be.

Of course, I have instantly noticed how attractive she looked in that red dress of hers which was accentuating every curve or her amazingly toned yet curvy in all the right places body. However, this time as I was facing her since I was walking towards her, I placed my eyes in the ground, afraid that if I do check her out any longer, she might notice.

“Ready to go?” I asked awkwardly without showing any acknowledgement of how she looked.

“I am.” She dryly replied, most likely picking on the fact that I have failed to compliment her yet.

“You look great.” I finally, unenthusiastically complimented her as we started walking and we were no longer facing each other. ‘It’s like you’re on steroids, fucking relax, you've complimented her before, don’t make it weird now, Jesus Christ!’ I scolded myself in my mind.

“You do look really nice in this dress Cas, bet Jake’s jaw will instantly drop when he sees you.” I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in trying my best not to cringe at what I’ve just uttered out loud.

Well, she didn't seem to have noticed my awkwardness as she just gave me a shy smile. “You look good too.” She finished her sentence almost in a whisper.

As we were walking in silence along the empty and barely lit neighbourhood streets, I didn't know what to make of this situation. Perhaps I was the only one feeling so awkward, or perhaps I was awkward because I could feel dread dissipating and oozing out of her as she was kicking a rock on the black tar road humming something so softly to herself like a secret which only she had the key to.

Dread. I was starting to feel it too. The dread of not understanding what someone you know so well is thinking and feeling. In the silence of the summer night, I sighed deeply which she noticed, instantly stopping her humming.

“How come you changed your mind about coming to the party?” Cassie asked.

I wasn’t going to talk about those damned firearms that I needed her help to clean, so I lied. “I was lonely, so I thought I’d get out have some fun and maybe find someone to have a one-night stand with.” Well, I lied about the reasoning behind going out tonight, but in fact, I really needed to get laid.

“Perfectly valid reason.” She murmured, still while kicking that rock, however this time kicking it with much more force, that it flew off the road into a big shrubbery bush.

Silence settled over us again. Silence at this point in our friendship could be said to be a part of the friend group.

I took out a cig from my handbag and lit it as a way of occupying myself in order not to overthink the awkwardness which was enveloping us by the minute.
We walked like that for about another 100 yards before we were there, standing in front of our house party.

To out “luck” Jake who was smoking and sipping out of his beer on the front porch with some of his other “delightful” comrades that I have never seen before, noticed us approaching and quickly got up to introduce us to them. Well introduce her to them...

“Hey there Cassie... Sydney.” ‘Oh, he was definitely delighted to see me here by the tone of his voice.’ I thought to myself as the sarcastic prick gave me a fake smile to which I reciprocated back with a forced half smile.

I knew he was kind of a bitch before, but now as he took a hold of Cassie’s arm, completely ignoring my presence saying “Come, let me show you around and introduce you to some of my mates” I knew he was an absolute fuck-tard.

Kind of shaken up by the disrespect I have just witnessed against myself by Jake, I stood there frozen on the porch like an ice sculpture, looking over to find Cas within the crown of drunk strangers. ‘Why the fuck was that prick so rude to me, I’ve literally done nothing wrong to him.’ I thought to myself furious and bitter. ‘Jake’s an absolute pussio, Jesus Christ.’