Chapter 171 - "It's finally over, we won."

She didn't realize that she was holding in her breath as he tightened the straps around her waist, pulling it to ensure that it would hostler the weapon across her back. His eyes were focused on the bands holding all in place, that he didn't notice her eyes observing his focused gaze and his furrowed brow, as if he was solving the most challenging puzzle on earth. When he was certain the weapon was not going to be released without her will, he reached for a large jacket, one wide enough to conceal her body and the weapon, and wrapped it over her shoulders. "Put your arms in and I'll zip it up."

She obeyed, his burgundy irises waiting for her slender arms to shove through the sleeves and that was when her eyes shifted to his robust fingers as they reached the slider and glided it all the way to the top. Then, he gently turned her around and loosened her ponytail. "We need to make sure your hair doesn't get in the way," he stated sternly as he coiled her hair into one braid before twisting it into a tight bun. When he finished, he made sure the loose ends were pinned with the others before taking a step back and examining her. "How does it feel? Too tight?"

It took a moment for her to respond. After a hard swallow, she slowly nodded her head. "It's..." She didn't want to sound breathless, and cleared her throat before she continued, "It's fine."

He wasn't done yet though, since he knelt down and loosened the laces on one of his pair of thick fire-protectant boots. "They're going to be big on you, but they're the only thing that will save you in case of a fire. I have other ones." Then, he gently reached for her ankle and placed one foot inside the boot, tightened the laces as hard as he could before he proceeded to the next one. As he straightened his spine, he reached for a pair of gloves and widened the opening for her fingers to slip inside. She thought that was the last of it, but when he turned away for a second and returned with a hat and a gas mask, she could barely hold in the small smile.

He made certain the hat covered her hair and handed her the gas mask. "You decide when you want to put that on, but it's all in case our initial plan doesn't work." When she nodded her head, Lucius' narrowed eyes stayed still before he glanced towards the doorway. "I have to get going, I haven't started getting ready yet. I wanted to make sure you were all good first, in case Draco came back early."

At first, she simply nodded her head; Lucius had always frightened her that she didn't really want to say anything, in case he randomly got angry and decided to kill her. But this whole attire and gear was surprising, especially the golden shotgun weapon he had strapped on her back, the one only Draco carried wherever he went. That was why she couldn't help but ask, "Why are you saving me and not the rest of your men?"

Lucius glanced back towards her, seeing the way her large bulbous eyes stared at him with such innocence and vulnerability. He had never realized how much he had used her and most likely traumatized her, forced her into intimacy whenever he liked without even recognizing her as a human being. For some reason, she also reminded him of Nate and he felt guilty, especially considering she was probably kidnapped and forced to work under Draco.

Lucius sighed, massaging the side of his neck as he tilted his head to the side. She had been around for such a long time, that along with the guilt, there was a bit of care that had developed. "I guess I care about you, Sarah. I don't want you to die."

He was seconds from leaving the infirmary room, when Sarah's quiet voice whispered, "I like you, Lucius." When she noticed his footsteps halt, she panicked and her breathing stopped for a moment, remembering how Jake had showed up after he had admitted to Lucius that he liked him. But there was a chance they would all die, and she didn't want to lose her life without revealing this secret. Hence, she squeezed her eyes shut and continued, "I don't mean to make you uncomfortable because I know how much Ralphy meant to you, and I don't want to put myself between you and Jake. But I really like you, Lucius and I didn't want to die without admitting this to you."