⚘thirty⚘

Benedict and I are sitting with his family in their drawing room. Colin is handing out the gifts he got for everyone during his travels.

Gregory is holding a bow with real arrows. "I love it, brother. Where is it from?"

"A trader in Marseille," Colin informs him.

"My perfume is from Paris?" Hyacinth questions.

"Where are my handsome new playing cards from?" Benedict questions. "Is this writing Spanish?"

"I do not even care where these reticule is from," I tell Colin. "It is beautiful."

"You visited France and Spain?" Anthony questions.

"My sheet music is Italian," Francesca states.

"Exactly how many cities did you visit in four months?" Benedict questions.

"I lost count, in truth," Colin tell him.

Anthony stands up as Gregory puts an arrow in his bow. "No. Not in here. Outside, where our mother can't see."

With Benedict spending time with his family I call on Pen across the street.

"Are Prudence and Philippa obsessed with the idea of producing an heir now?" I question.

Pen nods her head. "They think they would be the New Lady Featherington and they did not listen when I explained that technically, one of our sons would be the new Lord Featherington. One of us would be the heir's mama."

"Your sisters are not too bright," I state.

"Then they went on about the changes they would make to our home," Pen informs me.

"They seem rather confident in their abilities to decide a baby's sex before it is even born," I state.

"No one would even want to visit either of them," Pen insists.

"Neither will be inheriting anything if they cannot produce an heir," I state.

"Mama believes that I will always be here for her," Pen tells me. "Taking care of her."

"Does she truly think you will never marry?" I question.

"I do not know," Pen confesses. "But I have a plan."

"Do tell," I encourage.

"No more citrus colors," Pen tells me.

"If wearing a color other than yellow is what gives you the confidence to speak to suitors then I support it," I tell her. Pen smiles slightly. "Do you have a suitor in mind?"

"I should like to be sensible. Someone kind, who allows me my privacy," Pen tells me.

I smile. "I am sure you will find someone, Pen. Now that you have decided to step off the wall and shine."

Like every year Lady Danbury is the host of the first ball. Though the venue is not as impressive as the conservatory of last year it is still rather beautiful.

Even more beautiful is Penelope. I watch as she descends the stairs into the ball. She is wearing a dark dress that changes between teal and brown. Her hair is styled in a way Mama has never let her try before. I do not believe I have ever been so proud of her.

I smile as I walk towards Pen. "You look beautiful. Truly Pen. You are shining."

Pen smiles slightly. "Thank you, Di."

"Everyone is staring," I tell her. "In the best way."

"I hope this works," Pen states.

"It already is," I assure her.

"Here you are, my love."

I turn and see Benedict stopping beside me.

"I have been away from you for no more than five minutes," I remind him.